Question PC stuck in a boot loop after changing cases. Ive tried EVERYTHING, am i missing something obvious?

Jul 20, 2024
So Im desperate for help. My PC was running hot, and i remembered that i had a massive coolermaster storm case in my loft from years ago and decided to change it over to use that for the increase airflow and have more fans as the current case was a tiny tiny compact one. So i change everything over and it gets stuck in a boot loop now. I cannot get to the bottom of it and am loosing my mind here.

System is :

Ryzen 7600cpu, Gigabyte B650M K, 16gigs (2 sticks) of HyperX 5600mhz ram

are the main parts.

I changed my 120mm aio and put back on the wraith stealth cooler to see what kind of temps that gives as the aio is old and was getting a bit gurgly so i assumed it had lost some coolant volume. doesnt matter still have the wraith stealth to try. But i get this boot loop where i see the BIOS splash screen then restart. i left it wondering if it was doing expo set up, or memory timing, or auto overclocks etc but it never ends. So i started taking out parts that could be effecting it.

I have:

changed power supply,

Disconnected extra fans and front panel,

disconnected any superfluous peripherals, and other connections,

took out ram sticks,

swapped ram slots, used each of the single sticks,

took out the gpu,

checked, reseated, repasted the cpu cooler,

checked all connections,

took out the sata hard drive and the m.2

hit the bios reset switch on the back of the io panel,

took the cmos batter out for 5-10 mins ans shorted the cmos jumpers,

checked for grounding or shorting issues from the case,

everything i can think of. I now have just the motherboard, with 1 stick of ram, and the power supply siting on a box and when i boot it up, it still boot loops. So it seems like its either motherboard or cpu somehow. When i hit DEL to enter bios i always get a message about the BIOS resetting and any options i change in the bios and save and restart dont seem to take effect when i next go into the bios - i get the same message and everything reset again. does ANYone have ANY suggestions as to what could be the issue? im open to anything. even hail mary wild ridiculous suggestions.

Ralston18

Titan
You have done quite a lot.

This motherboard?

https://download.gigabyte.com/FileL...1103_e.pdf?v=586b978f1543a9ed60852068080d9fa9

Verify that I found the applicable manual.

What to do - start over.

Carefully take everything apart and start again as if a new build.

Look for any signs of damage - everywhere.

Read the motherboard manual very carefully paying attention to all fine print, warnings, references to more information on the manufacturer's website, etc..

Take your time. Work in a clean well lit area. Go step by step and stop if there any questions or issues. Keep notes.

Use only the cables that come with the PSU.

Ensure that all connectors, cards, jumpers, RAM, and case connections are fully and firmly in place.

Immediate objective being to put together a simple working computer with just the basic hardware and OS.

Jul 20, 2024
You have done quite a lot.

This motherboard?

https://download.gigabyte.com/FileL...1103_e.pdf?v=586b978f1543a9ed60852068080d9fa9

Verify that I found the applicable manual.

What to do - start over.

Carefully take everything apart and start again as if a new build.

Look for any signs of damage - everywhere.

Read the motherboard manual very carefully paying attention to all fine print, warnings, references to more information on the manufacturer's website, etc..

Take your time. Work in a clean well lit area. Go step by step and stop if there any questions or issues. Keep notes.

Use only the cables that come with the PSU.

Ensure that all connectors, cards, jumpers, RAM, and case connections are fully and firmly in place.

Immediate objective being to put together a simple working computer with just the basic hardware and OS.
Hi! thanks for the comprehensive reply. Firstly, yes thats the board. Rev 1.0 specifically.

i have had it all completely apart, just cpu, cooler and 1 ram stick installed, (tried it in slot 2 and 4) and a power supply connected via 24pin and the 2x4pin cpu connector, and sitting on the motherboard box. This is the most stripped down basic computer i can put together. Still boot looping.

Had a look and cant see anything, marks, scratches, dents or dings, looked with a torch everywhere. the stand offs are a bit worn through but i assume thats ok they are designed to be separated, no traces are in danger there obviously.

Someone else suggested maybe somehow the bios got corrupted so to try a bios update. There is a new bios available, i tried to install it, the file was detected and verified by the q flash plus utility, but when it applies it says it has to reboot and then the pc runs forever with no signal (20 ish mins ive left it before powering off a few times) and when i go back in to the bios it hasnt updated, and goes back to boot looping.

I like the advice, detailed and considered. so thanks for that.

currently though with the most basic possible setup (even no hard drive) - boot loops endlessly.

I do worry at the fact that the bios update isnt working either. Someone else mentioned if a jumper could be causing it, i have a cmos and reset jumpers but both have no jumper caps on them - i dont believe they came with anything on them either. Sigh, its so frustrating, it was working great, and then a (what i thought was) a simple case changeover, as built and changed dozens of pcs before, its so weird to me.

Ralston18

Titan
And be sure to clear CMOS by following the procedure in the User Guide/Manual. See if you can get a jumper cap from a family member, friend, co-worker. Check other devices for a cap you can use.

Another thought: thermal paste. What was used and how was the paste applied?

= = = =

In BIOS look for verbose mode or some configuration setting that displays what the system is doing or trying to do during the boot process.

As a starter link:

https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/what-is-verbose-mode/

Then look for other similar links using additional criteria relevant to your build.

Also, after reading back - PSU(s): make, model, wattage, age, condition (original to build, new, used, refurbished)?