Question Setting up Dolby Atmos Audio Configuration with NVIDIA RTX 4070 on Windows 10

Jul 14, 2024
Hello everyone,

I have an NVIDIA RTX 4070 graphics card with multiple outputs, including several DisplayPort ports and an HDMI 2.1 output. I'm using Windows 10 as my operating system.
I would like to use one of the DisplayPort ports to connect my 4K monitor for gaming visuals, and reserve the HDMI 2.1 output exclusively to connect my Dolby Atmos soundbar for spatialized audio.

Is it possible to configure this setup on my PC?

Additionally, could you confirm if using Dolby Atmos through a soundbar is free, or if it requires purchasing an app from the Microsoft Store?

Thanks in advance for your help! ;)

Best regards,

If your games already output Atmos then you do not need the app. The app from the store is only needed to convert non-Atmos sound (like stereo sound or DTS sound) to Atmos. If your monitor has an HDMI input and eARC output then it might be better to connect the gpu hdmi to the monitor and the monitor eARC to the soundbar.

Hello everyone,

I have an NVIDIA RTX 4070 graphics card with multiple outputs, including several DisplayPort ports and an HDMI 2.1 output. I'm using Windows 10 as my operating system.
I would like to use one of the DisplayPort ports to connect my 4K monitor for gaming visuals, and reserve the HDMI 2.1 output exclusively to connect my Dolby Atmos soundbar for spatialized audio.

Is it possible to configure this setup on my PC?

Additionally, could you confirm if using Dolby Atmos through a soundbar is free, or if it requires purchasing an app from the Microsoft Store?

Thanks in advance for your help! ;)

Best regards,
You need to install Dolby Access for Dolby Atmos to work. But no need to purchase it. It is free for Speaker systems. Only need to purchase for Headphone.

If your games already output Atmos then you do not need the app. The app from the store is only needed to convert non-Atmos sound (like stereo sound or DTS sound) to Atmos. If your monitor has an HDMI input and eARC output then it might be better to connect the gpu hdmi to the monitor and the monitor eARC to the soundbar.
That would be output as Spatial Audio not Dolby Atmos unless we set it to it. Atmos has bit better processing than Windows Spatial Audio.

Jul 14, 2024
Thank you for your feedback regarding the Dolby Atmos software on Windows.

My monitor is equipped with a DisplayPort connector, while its HDMI connector does not support eARC or ARC. Additionally, my future soundbar will have only one HDMI connector.

Regarding my specific need to use HDMI exclusively for audio and DisplayPort exclusively for video, is this feasible in the technical environment I have described?

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2024
In other words, is it possible to configure this in Windows: specify that the audio output uses HDMI while the video output of the game uses DisplayPort, ensuring that Dolby Atmos sound functions without encountering specific issues such as latency, audio delay, or any other inherent problems with this setup?

In other words, is it possible to configure this in Windows: specify that the audio output uses HDMI while the video output of the game uses DisplayPort, ensuring that Dolby Atmos sound functions without encountering specific issues such as latency, audio delay, or any other inherent problems with this setup?
See when you connect to Soundbar Using HDMI Port it shows up in the "Playback" devices list in "Sound Control Panel". You have to set it as Default. And then go into its Properties and if you have Dolby Acess Installed if you go into Spatial Sound Settings in the drop box your will find Dolby Atmos. You will have to select that and Apply. That be it.

Yes Audio will be passed through HDMI and video through DP.

Jul 14, 2024
Thank you for your response!
Can you confirm that all the functions of Dolby Access are free for use with a Dolby Atmos soundbar? Only the use of Dolby Access with headphones is paid, correct?
We agree on this point?

More precisely, are there any Dolby Atmos features or advanced settings (which ones?) for a soundbar that are only accessible through payment for the Dolby Access software?
See it is not Paid for Soundbars and AVR setups is because with them it will only work if they support Dolby Atmos for which the soundbar or AVR manufacturer already pays the license fee to Dolby to include Dolby Atmos on them as a feature. So make sure your soundbar supports Dolby Atmos. Headphones manufacturers don't pay license fee to Dolby as that is not a feature they include on Headphones. Yes there are some specific headphones which are said to support Dolby Atmos for headphones and are advertised as such and those headphones come in box with included code for Dolby Atmos for Headphones purchase.

Anyhow you don't have that headache with Soundbars AVRs etc. Just make sure it says that it supports Dolby Atmos.

Jul 14, 2024
See it is not Paid for Soundbars and AVR setups is because with them it will only work if they support Dolby Atmos for which the soundbar or AVR manufacturer already pays the license fee to Dolby to include Dolby Atmos on them as a feature. So make sure your soundbar supports Dolby Atmos. Headphones manufacturers don't pay license fee to Dolby as that is not a feature they include on Headphones. Yes there are some specific headphones which are said to support Dolby Atmos for headphones and are advertised as such and those headphones come in box with included code for Dolby Atmos for Headphones purchase.

Anyhow you don't have that headache with Soundbars AVRs etc. Just make sure it says that it supports Dolby Atmos.
Excellent! Thank you very much for your clear and detailed response.(y);)

Reactions: King Dranzer
Jul 14, 2024
I was told that, for example, in the case of the Sonos Beam 2 which has a single HDMI eARC input, it would not work because it requires an eARC signal input, and a graphics card cannot produce such a signal (unlike a compatible TV offering an eARC output). Can you confirm this or is it incorrect?

Jul 14, 2024
If that is the case, a Sonos Beam 2 would not be able to work with my RTX 4070, my 4K monitor (which lacks an eARC output), and Dolby Atmos.
And the same problem for a system: SONOS ARC + ERA 300 x 2 + SUB (Gen 3)?

I was told that, for example, in the case of the Sonos Beam 2 which has a single HDMI eARC input, it would not work because it requires an eARC signal input, and a graphics card cannot produce such a signal (unlike a compatible TV offering an eARC output). Can you confirm this or is it incorrect?
Yes it won't work as HDMI eARC port is a HDMI OUT port and not a HDMI IN so it won't take in HDMI signal the usual way. Yes it won't work if that is the only HDMI port it has.