[SOLVED] Pc stuck in "Preparing Automatic Repair"

Apr 21, 2020
Hi Everyone. Today when i booted up my pc it got stuck in this loop that says "preparing automatic repair". After doing some research i tried rebooting it multiple times and i tried to get into safe mode. this has happened before but I was able to get to the blue screen menu and enter safe mode and get it working again but this time I can't. Please help

Solution
ok then. What I suggest is going into safe mode, copy anything off C you don't want to lose, and either reset the PC using
  • boot from installer
  • on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
  • choose troubleshoot
  • choose reset this PC
  • choose keep files/settings (Files = library folders. Library folders = Documents, pictures, movies, music (the default folders that come with windows). Settings = logins and desktop)
or clean install using the USB I suggested you make. follow this guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

Safe mode isn't a perfect fix, booting into it can sometimes fix problems but others it doesn't. We don't know what is...

Colif

Win 11 Master
On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB - handy boot disk

i can get you to safe mode
boot from installer

on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.

choose troubleshoot

choose advanced

choose command prompt

Enter these BOLD commands and press ENTER after each.

(Note the colon after C with no space; then the spaces which are important - one after T before / & T before { & } before B & Y before L)

C:

BCDEDIT /SET {DEFAULT} BOOTMENUPOLICY LEGACY

EXIT

You are back in blue menu, go to top lvl agin -> Shutdown the computer.

Boot back up and "immediately" start tapping F8 (That means power button - then F8).

Hopefully that should get you into Safe Mode.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To reverse that you can use the same steps and type these (again note spaces)

C:

BCDEDIT /SET {DEFAULT} BOOTMENUPOLICY STANDARD

Restart but F8 will not work now.

i would suggest backing up anything on c you want to save, just in case.

Apr 21, 2020
On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB - handy boot disk

i can get you to safe mode
boot from installer

on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.

choose troubleshoot

choose advanced

choose command prompt

Enter these BOLD commands and press ENTER after each.

(Note the colon after C with no space; then the spaces which are important - one after T before / & T before { & } before B & Y before L)

C:

BCDEDIT /SET {DEFAULT} BOOTMENUPOLICY LEGACY

EXIT

You are back in blue menu, go to top lvl agin -> Shutdown the computer.

Boot back up and "immediately" start tapping F8 (That means power button - then F8).

Hopefully that should get you into Safe Mode.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To reverse that you can use the same steps and type these (again note spaces)

C:

BCDEDIT /SET {DEFAULT} BOOTMENUPOLICY STANDARD

Restart but F8 will not work now.

i would suggest backing up anything on c you want to save, just in case.
Hi thanks for this. When i get into safe mode and turn it off it just goes back into the same loading screen

Colif

Win 11 Master
ok then. What I suggest is going into safe mode, copy anything off C you don't want to lose, and either reset the PC using
  • boot from installer
  • on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
  • choose troubleshoot
  • choose reset this PC
  • choose keep files/settings (Files = library folders. Library folders = Documents, pictures, movies, music (the default folders that come with windows). Settings = logins and desktop)
or clean install using the USB I suggested you make. follow this guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

Safe mode isn't a perfect fix, booting into it can sometimes fix problems but others it doesn't. We don't know what is wrong so best idea is try to restart afresh and see if it stops happening.

Solution