PC Stuck on Black Screen during Reset

hypetech

Reputable
Sep 14, 2015
I went thru the reset process in Windows settings, and i let it run for almost an hour now. it is stuck on black screeen. anyone able to solve this?

hypetech

Reputable
Sep 14, 2015

i unplugged the HDD to isolate my SSD boot drive. the SSD is completeely fine and is receiving power as evident by the led. I just tried to restart the PC by unplugging the PSU cord, and actually got to a blue screen saying "installing windows, 27% done" but then it restarted again and has returned to a black screen to no avail. I am deeply depressed. the boot drive is 240gb, and I currently have a 32gb usb drive connected with the standard windows install software.

Colif

Win 11 Master
resets only touch C drive anyway so your hdd should have been fine.

That restart may have hurt more than it helped.

What I would do is set up PC to boot off that installer USB and wipe the ssd before fresh installing. I don't like resets as they often fail half way through.
1. How to wipe:
change boot order so USB is first, hdd second
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt
type diskpart and press enter
type list disk and press enter
this shows all drives available, DVD/USB and hdd, make note of hdd number
type Select disk X - where X is the number of the hdd you want to wipe, change X to that number and press enter
once the drive you want to install on is chosen, type Clean

2. Fresh install:
boot from installer
follow this guide: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html

when you reach the screen asking for licence, click "I don't have a key" and win 10 will continue to install and reactivate once finished

On the screen where you choose where to install win 10, if it gives you an error about GPT drives, delete all the partitions on the hdd and press next. If it still gives error, cancel out of the installer and restart PC and start installer again, it will accept next on that screen this time (some PC just need a restart here).

note: when i said hdd before, i meant boot drive. its easier than stating ssd/nvme/m.2/hdd every time :)

hypetech

Reputable
Sep 14, 2015

that sounds like a great plan but the only problem is I am stuck at a blac screen. restarts and all are not working whatsoever and i get no response except a black screen and power to the PC. also, the red boot device led is on on my mobo.

hypetech

Reputable
Sep 14, 2015

gtx 1050
i3 6100
asus z170 ar mobo
standard evga psu
ballisti ram

i have a completley blck screen that I cant get out of at all/

hypetech

Reputable
Sep 14, 2015

I tore out the PSU cord out of rage and plugged it back in an hr later, worked like a hardon. gonna select u as best answer for the help anyway <3

TRENDING THREADS