[SOLVED] PC stuttering heavily after running for a while ?

jgricar

Prominent
May 30, 2019
Specs:
  • Ryzen 5 2600
  • XFX RX 5700 XT Thicc II
  • AsRock B450m Steel Legend
  • 2x8GB Trident Z 3200MHz
  • Corsair CX650m
I'm posting on here because I haven't been able to find any leads to a possible resolve anywhere else. As the title says, my PC begins to stutter after running or gaming for a decent amount of time (2+ hours). Games will begin to stutter periodically and certain games will register it as packet loss or latency variation although my internet connection is stable. Even after I stop playing games and do things like browse the web, it will stutter and pause while typing or watching videos. I first thought it might be a thermal throttle, but my CPU never gets above 27C and my GPU never gets high either. I check drivers for updates weekly or monthly and have even recently updated my BIOs in hopes of resolving the issue but it persisted even after the update. Any and all recommendations and possible help is welcome.

Also, it may be a separate issue, but also while playing Rocket League, textures and lines in the distance will appear to vibrate unless I have Vsync enabled. I first attributed this to running my monitor at 72Hz rather than 60, but the issue persisted when I changed back.

Solution
A new update for my GPU drivers came out and it has not stuttered since updating them. To be sure I also turned off slideshow desktop background as well as checking startup and registry for any issues or excessive running apps.

Lutfij

Titan
Does the issue crop up when you're on the system from the GUI without taxing the system with a game? Does the issue crop up when you run a benchmarking app? Which version of Windows 10 are you on at the moment? Version for your motherboard BIOS? Which slots are you populating on the motherboard?

jgricar

Prominent
May 30, 2019
Yes, after a few hours it will cause even my web browser and taskbar to lag. I haven't tried benchmarking, but I assume it's the same issue.
I'm currently running Windows 10 Pro: Version 10.0.19041 Build 19041
My BIOS is now either 3.20 or 3.30
The only slots occupied on my motherboard are my PCIe x16 for my GPU and my M.2 with an NVME drive which is used for storage, not booting

Last edited:

jgricar

Prominent
May 30, 2019
A new update for my GPU drivers came out and it has not stuttered since updating them. To be sure I also turned off slideshow desktop background as well as checking startup and registry for any issues or excessive running apps.

Solution