Question PC stuttering/lagging, especially when scrolling or when something happens on my second monitor

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikerosoft

Reputable
Sep 2, 2019
Hello everyone,

My specs:
CPU : Intel Core i9 9900K @ 3.60 GHz
GPU : 8GB Asus GeForce RTX 2080
RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-2666
Mainboard : Asus ROG Strix Z390-F Gaming
PSU : 700 watt be quiet Pure Power 10
CPU-Cooling : be quiet Silent Loop 240 AIO water cooling
Storage : Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus M.2 (500GB)
Samsung SSD 850 EVO (120GB)
WD Blue WD40 (4000GB)
WD Green WD10 (1000GB)
Case : be quiet Pure Base 600
  1. Screen: Samsung C24FG73 (144hz)
  2. Screen: Samsung S24C450 (60hz)

as the title says i get really weird stuttering on my PC which is noticable when something is moving (e.g. scrolling in the browser, videos etc.)
This stuttering becomes far worse as it already is when something happens on my second monitor (e.g. playing a video or a new discord message in the chat is even enough to cause a short hard stutter).
I am getting really frustrated with this issue and hope somebody can help me fix it. Since i have already tried a lot to fix the issue and already fixed some previous issues with this built i am going to list all the problems i already had and fixed in this build since they might help to determine the cause of my problem.

I built this new PC in May this year. At the beginning I overclocked the CPU to 5 GHz. Everything worked without problems. After a short time though i rarely got a blue screen with the information 'IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL' . At first i thought that this was caused by the overclocking but online people said that these bluescreens with that message were caused by errors with the graphics driver. As my drivers were up to date a friend suggested to update my BIOS since that fixed his bluescreen issues. Well after updating my BIOS to the current version (1105) more problems started to occur. The BIOS update initially worked fine and since the settings are reset after the update i left my CPU at 3.6 GHz. When my PC restarted I couldn't boot because my Windows was installed in legacy mode and not UEFI, which is why I had to turn on CSM first in the BIOS to be able to boot. After i was able to boot my PC started in the total wrong resolution. After a short while it froze completely and i had to shut it down with the power button to reboot. After the reboot it started in the wrong resolution again but after like 20 seconds it set itself to the right resolution (1920x1080) but completely froze again and i had to shut it down with the power button again. On the third time it booted normally without any problems in the right resolution and i could use it without problems. So everytime i wanted to start my PC i had to reboot 3 times until i could use it. At the beginning after the BIOS update my PC also did not immediatelly turn on after pressing the start button, it started -> turned off after like 1 second -> and restarted again like 2 seconds later. This issue fixed itself somehow after a few times of starting the PC. My PC still started in the wrong resolution though so i completely reinstalled windows (this time in UEFI) and deleted everything that was on my drive where windows was installed. This fixed the issue with the wrong resolution but after like 2 weeks of usage I got my current problem: the stuttering. Aftert this stutter occurred I also oveclocked to 5GHz again just for testing and after a few days got a bluescreen again with the message IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL', so I guess the previous bluescreen came from the overclocking, which is why i use 3.6GHz again. I don't know if anything i wrote earlier had anything to do with this issue now but maybe all of these issues can be linked to any damaged hardware in my PC. The stuttering can be especially seen when scrolling in Firefox where the scrolling is just not smooth, in games i don't feel it that much, only when something starts to happen on my second screen i feel the harder stutter also in games. As i have already tried a lot to fix this issue i will just list them all below:

What i have tried and didn't work:
  • reset all settings in BIOS
  • reinstall windows and clearing the whole drive again
  • use a different browser, still stutter when scrolling
  • tried to downgrade my BIOS version but it wouldn't let me
  • using only the main screen
  • using only the second screen
  • using a HDMI cable at 120Hz instead of DP(144Hz) on my main screen (this actually helped with stutter when i move something on my second screen because on DP as soon as a window was visible on both screen the window was really laggy to move around, this doesnt happen when using the HDMI cable)
  • using integrated graphics
  • using Display Driver Uninstaller to completely reinstall the graphics driver
  • using my old GTX980 instead of my RTX2080, still stuttering
I don't really know what else I could do and I am really frustrated right now as I said before. I really hope somebody can help me to fix the issue or at least determine which part of my PC is broken...

Thank you very much in advance

Mikerosoft

Reputable
Sep 2, 2019
Did you always have this problem or did it start after the newest Nvidia driver installed? Try setting your latency to low, and try setting your monitor refresh rate to highest available, and set vsync to off.
I never had this issue before, the only problem I had were bluescreen that occured very rare, All my problems started to occur in the time after I updated my BIOS. I also tried your suggested Nvidia settings but sadly they did not fix the issue.

Last edited:

Mikerosoft

Reputable
Sep 2, 2019
I am racking my old brain, I can't believe we havn't nailed down the problem. Somewhere I think there is a bad driver, or driver conflict. Have you tried resetting your monitors to factory settings? I see that the 144hz monitor has freesync. Have you tried, turning that on off and using it with the Nvidia control panel? I see the second monitor has an aspect ratio of 16/10 don't know if you want to check that in the control panel for correct aspect ratio size. It also has an install driver for it, but I don't know if that will install under win 10. Something to look in to. And how do you have that hooked up to the gpu? Have you installed the lastest vga driver also from the support site?

Mikerosoft

Reputable
Sep 2, 2019
I am racking my old brain, I can't believe we havn't nailed down the problem. Somewhere I think there is a bad driver, or driver conflict. Have you tried resetting your monitors to factory settings? I see that the 144hz monitor has freesync. Have you tried, turning that on off and using it with the Nvidia control panel? I see the second monitor has an aspect ratio of 16/10 don't know if you want to check that in the control panel for correct aspect ratio size. It also has an install driver for it, but I don't know if that will install under win 10. Something to look in to. And how do you have that hooked up to the gpu? Have you installed the lastest vga driver also from the support site?
Yea I already tried resetting both monitors to default settings but sadly this did not help as well. I can't use freesync since since this only works with AMD graphics cards as far as I am aware, so it is automatically turned off. Now that you mention the 16:10 ratio of my second monitor I remember something. Some time ago my desktop on my second monitor was always bigger than my screen was, so I couldn't fully see the time at the bottom or the taskbar. After every Nvidia graphics driver update I had to go to 'Adjust Desktop Size and Position' and customly resize it since every other resolution was always to big to fit the screen. I somehow managed to get rid of that so that even 1920x1080 fits my screen and looks perfectly normal without resizing but of course I forgot what I did so I can't undo it. Now If I think about this, the time I did this could be roughly the same time that my stutter issues started appearing. Since my second monitor is so old it can only be connected by DVI or VGA and since my grapahics card does not have these ports I use a DVI to HDMI adapter. HDMI goes into the graphics card and DVI into the monitor. I have also tried using a DVI to Displayport adapter but this did not help either. From the Mainboard support site i can't install the VGA driver since it says my system does not meet the requirement. If I am correct I also think that I don't need this driver since it's only used for integrated graphics which I don't use. And the driver for my second monitor I have already installed.

EDIT: Okay I just found out which setting made my desktop bigger than my second screen was. In my second monitor settings i could change PC/AV Mode. I don't know what it is but if I set it to AV mode my desktop is bigger than my screen and on PC everything fits perfectly but sadly it stutter no matter what setting I use. I also tested in Nvidia control panel to set my second monitor as primary monitor under 'set up multiple display' and my 144hz monitor also started stuttering/lagging.

Last edited:
If the older monitor is a 16:10 you should use the appropriate monitor resolution for that monitor which should be 1920x1200 and not 1920x1080. Because of this, you may be forcing a nonnative resolution on the older monitor via the Nvidia control software. This can cause the issues you are experiencing.

Mikerosoft

Reputable
Sep 2, 2019
If the older monitor is a 16:10 you should use the appropriate monitor resolution for that monitor which should be 1920x1200 and not 1920x1080. Because of this, you may be forcing a nonnative resolution on the older monitor via the Nvidia control software. This can cause the issues you are experiencing.
Hey,
My Nvidia control panel says that 1920x1080 is the native resolution for my screen. I created a custom resolution with 1920x1200 and switched to that but on both sides left and right there were black bars. Under 'adjust desktop size and position' I then changed the scaling to 'Full-screen' so I had no black bars anymore but the whole resolution just does not look as sharp as 1920x1080. In my monitor settings under 'information' it also says the 'Optimal Mode' is 1920x1080 60hz. I researched a bit about this screen and it seems that there are multiple variants of the 'Samsung S24C450' such as the 'Samsung S24C450BW' that is the 16:10 version and the 'Samsung S24C450BL' which is the 16:9 version and that I think I have since on the smallprint on the back of the screen it says 'Samsung S24C450BL' .

Hey,
My Nvidia control panel says that 1920x1080 is the native resolution for my screen. I created a custom resolution with 1920x1200 and switched to that but on both sides left and right there were black bars. Under 'adjust desktop size and position' I then changed the scaling to 'Full-screen' so I had no black bars anymore but the whole resolution just does not look as sharp as 1920x1080. In my monitor settings under 'information' it also says the 'Optimal Mode' is 1920x1080 60hz. I researched a bit about this screen and it seems that there are multiple variants of the 'Samsung S24C450' such as the 'Samsung S24C450BW' that is the 16:10 version and the 'Samsung S24C450BL' which is the 16:9 version and that I think I have since on the smallprint on the back of the screen it says 'Samsung S24C450BL' .
I see, well it was worth a shot.

Mikerosoft

Reputable
Sep 2, 2019
You can try to use a monitoring app to see if there are conflicting drivers. You can try this site for a latency monitor,called LatencyMon, use it in background when using your computer for a while. Gaming, surfing etc. Then it will tell you if there are bad drivers etc. https://www.resplendence.com/main The site also has many other apps that may appeal to you.
I have downloaded LatencyMon und used it while browsing and just playing Minecraft, which my PC should be handling pretty well. LatencyMon sadly says otherwise though:
View: https://imgur.com/a/Uy9GgZo

Over the course of the day I used LatencyMon multiple times and it always said that my system appears to be having trouble. The files which caused highest DPC and ISR were mostly different though and not always the same so I am not exactly sure what I should do now.

So you have an acpi problem, and a problem with directx which both affect video output. A whole new path to go down. It also says you have cpu throttling enabled in your bios. I did suspect power savings management should be disabled in the bios. So google both and follow their recommendations. Such as updating or checking the acpi drivers. Type dxdiag in windows run box. It will give you a report on your dx system and tell you any errors it may find. Have you run a sfc scan on your system? Type sfc /scannow there is a space between sfc and /. See if it comes up with anything.

Mikerosoft

Reputable
Sep 2, 2019
So you have an acpi problem, and a problem with directx which both affect video output. A whole new path to go down. It also says you have cpu throttling enabled in your bios. I did suspect power savings management should be disabled in the bios. So google both and follow their recommendations. Such as updating or checking the acpi drivers. Type dxdiag in windows run box. It will give you a report on your dx system and tell you any errors it may find. Have you run a sfc scan on your system? Type sfc /scannow there is a space between sfc and /. See if it comes up with anything.
Hey,
I don't havy any power saving options enabled in Windows or in the BIOS. Also I don't know if it counts towards 'CPU throttling' but as already said my CPU only boosts to 4.7 Ghz since all above leads to eventually crashing the PC. I checked dxdiag and it said it found no problems. I also ran sfc /scannow and no problems were found either.
For the high latency of ACPI.sys i found this in some forum:
ACPI.sys

This issue occurs typically on laptops. This can be difficult, sometimes impossible to solve. This driver is for ACPI on your motherboard which controls different power modes. First disable any sleep settings on your PC and do normal PC optimization. In some cases disabling the ACPI Battery from within device manager also helps. This may disable the ability for the PC to charge the battery on a laptop'

It seems that my issue is really related to my motherboard and I am getting really frustrated trying basically everything and nothing works at all. All this started after an apparently successfull BIOS update. I am not too sure about ASUS definition of succesfull but not even allowing me to downgrade my BIOS after obviously something went wrong drives me crazy. I think on monday I'll call the retailer where I bought this motherboard and tell them all my problems and what I already tried and demand a return or replacement. Sorry for this mini-rant but still thank you Fix_that_Glitch for helping me for such a long time.

Mikerosoft

Reputable
Sep 2, 2019
Feb 25, 2020
Hey,
these are the settings in the BIOS concerning CPU power management.
View: https://imgur.com/a/ecf1pso

By the way I also did a BIOS update to version 1302 which came out 2 days ago. Seems that it worked out without problems but nevertheless my issue was not fixed and LatencyMon still shows the same problems.

Hi, ive got the same motherboard the Asus Z390 gaming-F

i'm having the same problem

Did you found a fix?

Mikerosoft

Reputable
Sep 2, 2019
Hi, ive got the same motherboard the Asus Z390 gaming-F

i'm having the same problem

Did you found a fix?

Hey,

sadly I have not.
I have turned off smooth scrolling in firefox so I won't notice the problem anymore. I also try to avoid having any movements on my second screen to minimize stutter on the main screen. I have tried so much wasting so much time and nothing worked out so i kinda got used to it, which obviously sucks but thats just how it is now.
If you find any solution please let me now as well!

Feb 25, 2020
Hey,

sadly I have not.
I have turned off smooth scrolling in firefox so I won't notice the problem anymore. I also try to avoid having any movements on my second screen to minimize stutter on the main screen. I have tried so much wasting so much time and nothing worked out so i kinda got used to it, which obviously sucks but thats just how it is now.
If you find any solution please let me now as well!

Can you try it with XMP1

That as fixed my board

Status
Not open for further replies.