Question PC stutters and massive FPS drops on every game.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Oct 16, 2023
Hello everyone! My custom built used to work great up until about 3-4 months ago. Since then, the FPS dropped massively and games, such as CS2 or Fromsoft games, went from 200 for CS2 and 144 for FS, to 90-ish and 60 FPS, respectively.

I haven't done any massive changes and it seemingly came out of the blue. The PC is very well maintained and cleaned, with regular thermal paste changes and deep clean at least once a month.

Here is a link to a Benchmark I did today, with my results, especially for the GPU being very well under the average for this piece of hardware.

PassMark Software - Display Baseline ID# 2097926 - you can see that CPU and GPU benchmarks are 10 and 18% below the average for this component.

Benchmark results: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/67859109

The main problem is FPS. Things I've tried to fix/change but to no avail:

Thermal paste change/deep cleaning of dust
Stresstest/benchmarks - showing no errors
Disabled/Enabled XMP - nothing changes
Temperature monitoring - nothing out of the ordinary, however, I noticed on a lighter game it maintained at 85C (CPU) which was slightly too high.
Updated drivers of the CPU and GPU, even rolled back to previous versions
Clean boots and memtest86 done - nothing
Crystaldisk tests
Samsung magician - nothing outstanding
The final step I took was to completely wipe the PC and reset it - still the same if not worse.

Thank you everyone who took the time to read/reply!

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2023
Read my post
Yes I did sorry I will just need time to try all that. About the PSU I have already tried with or without doesn't seem to be impacting.

I was also thinking virus unless it somehow stayed behind even after I completely wiped the PC after a hard reset.

tomorrow I'll play around with the RAM sticks and see what shows up, I was thinking of trying to switch their slots from 1 and 3 to 2 and 4, see if that works

The problem I have with the drives is that one disappears and the other is not detectable by Userbenchmark. Definitely thinking of buying a new SSD m2 NVMe as mine is already 4 years old. About the D: SSD I don't know yet..

About the high background usage - tried checking already, and as soon as I open the Task manager all is normal or its Task manager itself consuming lol.

Jul 2, 2024
Issue is when ssd gets to near full it does that.

Disconnect all ssd and drives.

Keep drive c on
Now drive c space I don't know wat u got but you calculate I will give u simple example.

Say u got 2tb
All drive full u got 300gb or 500gb left.
It will give these problems you explained.

Connect usb hdd transfer all data much as you can till drive is near to 1tb ore more free. Then restart pc , use msconfig to disable all features and restart with standard settings.
Test the pc now.

Even you give that empty partition a drive letter don't use it for anything it is a reserve drive look at it that way

If all is OK reinstall and create separate partition drive give that partion 400gb empty space.

It sucks it's the only way to drive don't get damaged quick.

Install windows on other large partion now.

Reactions: NovemberRaiN404
Oct 16, 2023
I don't mind keeping alot of space free
After your advice I will clean up and leave only 50% occupation. I usually have 1-3 games installed at a time so I don't mind keeping alot of open space.

The CPU usage was bugging me and another one of those weird thoughts occurred.
I know :hello:
Do you use a cloud service?
One drive ,Amazon , other?
You could be reinfecting yourself with a miner or other malware with online backups.
Can you do an offline windows install?
Create a user account instead of signing in to your Microsoft account or other accounts when windows is installed.
Install all drivers for you motherboard/GPU etc and a game or 2.
Then give it a spin and report results.

Edit.
Also most drives have a utility to over-provision a portion of your SSDs.
Use Samsung Magician for your Samsung drives .
Set a space as large as default or as large as you like for each drive and then you do not have to worry or think about filling it up.
When windows says it is full you still have free space so it will not slow down.

Last edited:
Reactions: NovemberRaiN404
Oct 16, 2023
The CPU usage was bugging me and another one of those weird thoughts occurred.
I know :hello:
Do you use a cloud service?
One drive ,Amazon , other?
You could be reinfecting yourself with a miner or other malware with online backups.
Can you do an offline windows install?
Create a user account instead of signing in to your Microsoft account or other accounts when windows is installed.
Install all drivers for you motherboard/GPU etc and a game or 2.
Then give it a spin and report results.

Edit.
Also most drives have a utility to over-provision a portion of your SSDs.
Use Samsung Magician for your Samsung drives .
Set a space as large as default or as large as you like for each drive and then you do not have to worry or think about filling it up.
When windows says it is full you still have free space so it will not slow down.
That's interesting for sure and haven't thought about it. I only have the default One drive pre-installed but can't say that I use it. It's just there, maybe some stuff like photos and etc has gone there automatically.

Can you please specify the process? Make a new account. Reinstall the PC and install the drivers?

Go to bios and disable wireless .
Do not plug in an Ethernet cable.
Download windows installer and drivers on another computer on your USB.
Install the drive you want windows on .

It is different for 10 and 11.
10 gives the option during setup.
For 11.
  1. Start the installation and proceed through the initial setup screens.
  2. When prompted to connect to a network, press "Shift + F10" to open Command Prompt.
  3. Type OOBE\BYPASSNRO and press Enter.
  4. The system will restart.
  5. It will now give the option to setup without internet.

Oct 16, 2023
Hello everyone,

After extensive troubleshooting, benching and asking for help, I realized its not worth it and solved the issue the easy way - by throwing money at it.

As my system seems very outdated I bought a new mobo, ram and processor. Looking forward to trying AMD for the first time.

You can lock the thread and I wish to thank everyone who spent their valuable time trying to help me, I really hope I can reciprocate one day.

All the best