[SOLVED] PC Sudden Restarts - Event ID 41 - No BSOD

IntiaViews

Prominent
Jan 28, 2021
Hi everyone,

I've been having this sudden restart and I would like to know which specific part of my pc is the culprit.

A brief history. This was my first and cheap pc build. I bought the mobo, cpu, ram & hsf as a bundled promo (2nd hand parts). Days & weeks passed and the problem I noticed was that the pc would sometimes suddenly restart but without bsod. After a month, the pc wouldn't show any display anymore. I tried putting new thermal paste, cleaning the ram, detaching & reattaching parts, wires, cords and ultimately had it checked by a pc technician. After his tests, he declared the motherboard dead.

So I bought a brand new mobo. And now, I still experience those sudden restarts once in a while. In Event Viewer, there's only one Critical - Event ID 41. And yesterday was the most number of restarts (7 times). I think my pc restarted 4 times while an external storage (Seagate 1TB) was attached. I was also browsing using Chrome at that time. But sometimes it would restart even if I was only browsing. without any other usb device plugged in (other than mouse & keyboard). Sometimes, it would restart when I play a movie using Splash Pro Ex. And at times, just by reading something in a webpage, without me doing anything, it would restart.

From what I read online, it could be PSU? RAM showed no error after MemTest so I think it's fine. My old GPU seems ok too. I have a feeling it could be CPU because it was included in that cheap bundle. Or maybe some drivers? But I don't know which ones are causing this sudden restart.

I've read some similar posts here in the forum and followed these 3 suggestions : 1) /sfc scannow ... 2) SysnativeFileCollectionApp ... 3) MemTest86.

Please view files/log/reports here:
PC Specs:

Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit
System Manufacturer: BIOSTAR Group
System Model: Hi-Fi A68U3P
BIOS: 4.6.5 (type: UEFI)
Processor: AMD A6-6400B APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics (2 CPUs), ~3.9GHz
Memory: 6144MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 6068MB RAM
Page File: 3464MB used, 3626MB available
DirectX Version: DirectX 12

Would really appreciate your advice & recommendations.

Thank you!

Solution
So, I've experienced just three sudden restarts over 7 days. Feb 4, 5 & 7. I guess this is better than before. And I added 2 fans inside the tower today. I hope my pc acts better from now.
It doesn't sound like your old PSU is much better than the one it replaced. It would be best to buy a new good quality PSU. I have seen a PSU go up in smoke and kill a motherboard, it can happen.

IntiaViews

Prominent
Jan 28, 2021
Hi.

What is your PSU brand and model? Restarting and shutting down systems is normally a power issue or an overheating issue.
Hi @Nemesia. I have a Neutron Electron Power Supply, Model: ATX-700W, Grade A.
And I'd like to add that there's an explosive event just a few hours after I posted that query. I cleaned up my workspace so I had to detach the cords and move the computer. After putting them back, the power cord that connects the monitor seemed loose as the monitor won't show a power standby light. Then when I was able to make the monitor turn on, several minutes of use, that power cord suddenly exploded and was almost torn in half, about 1.5 cm from the plug. So I thought that this 'loose power cord' could have been the one connected to the desktop tower (before I did the cleaning) and caused the sudden restarts. But then yesterday, with all power cords working well, I still encountered the same restart problem twice.

IntiaViews

Prominent
Jan 28, 2021

IntiaViews

Prominent
Jan 28, 2021
Thanks for the recommendation @Flayed. I've bookmarked it... But you know what, I realized I got here one PSU from an old pc. It still works and I installed it to this PC. I'll be using this for now. Check how my pc goes for one week. Then, I'll post here again.

Reactions: Flayed

IntiaViews

Prominent
Jan 28, 2021
So, I've experienced just three sudden restarts over 7 days. Feb 4, 5 & 7. I guess this is better than before. And I added 2 fans inside the tower today. I hope my pc acts better from now.

It doesn't sound like your old PSU is much better than the one it replaced. It would be best to buy a new good quality PSU. I have seen a PSU go up in smoke and kill a motherboard, it can happen.

Reactions: Nemesia
Solution

IntiaViews

Prominent
Jan 28, 2021
Got it. Well, I replaced my first PSU back and it's 3 days now without sudden restart. I suppose the two fans help cool things down. I'll observe once more. And if persists, I'll buy. Thanks for helping me figure out the culprit.

TRENDING THREADS