Question PC Suddenly Black Screen and Monitor On Standby Mode

n8than26

Reputable
Mar 12, 2021
So today my pc suddenly failing? i have an AMD Graphics card (RX 6800)
I play a game.. suddenly it crashed, and black screen.. but i still can hear the sound, there's a sound of windows error.. i tried to restart but now the driver is changed to the default windows driver.. tried DDU and still the same issue, now the monitor still won't turned on.. but i can hear the windows start up sound..

n8than26

Reputable
Mar 12, 2021
Now the display is on somehow,
but when i open AMD Driver Software this pops up.. oh and i forgot to mention, i use the AMD software to underclock my gpu..

Gct0Hnl.png

n8than26

Reputable
Mar 12, 2021

Found the fix:
Quoting u/Mysteoa on reddit:

There are two solution to this:

First ------------- Use GPO to disable Windows Updates from installing drivers. This can only be done on Windows Pro. There is a workaround for Home, but you have to search about it.

Search for "gpedit.msc" or press WIN+R and type "gpedit.msc"

Go to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update Enable "Do not include drivers with Windows Update" policy.

Then download DDU and the driver from the AMD site. You need to restart windows in safe mode (google how to do it) and run DDU. It will remove all the driver mess, and it will be like you haven't installed driver at all. Boot in Windows normally. Your resolution might be incorrect, but that is because you haven't installed the driver. Install the driver that you downloaded from AMD.

Second------------

Remove Radeon software installation. Go to "Add and remove programs" and uninstall it. Download The Microsoft Store specific Radeon Software app from this link. It's just a store version of the Radeon software, but works with the MS driver that you get forced by the updates.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/a...f2xok1nudm2s6zn00&activetab=pivot:overviewtab

Differences between the AMD driver, the Store version. You can see if you have the store version if you go to the Device manger and check the driver version for the Display adapter. It should start with v30 and the AMD driver with v27, this is for Win10, it's different for Win11. The AMD version of the driver updates more frequent for new games, so if you play the latest games, you will need it. The MS driver is an older version of the AMD driver, that is added to Update servers. It gets updated less frequently.