Question PC switches on for a split second and then turns off

sou123

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2013
My PC with a Corsair VS450 PSU gives fanspin for a split second and turns off. It won't even give fanspin on trying more until I wait longer and then the same thing repeats. I put a different PSU and it's working perfectly and this PSU is giving the same problem when tested with 2 different systems too. I did the paperclip test and the fans of the PSU keeps spinning normally when the green and black are shorted. Please help me out. When I searched online most of the threads where pointing to motherboard shorts.

May 21, 2021
I don't know if this is the right answer or not but it might be that your pc is pulling more power than your VS450 can handle. It might have triggered the overcurrent protection of the power supply resulting in a no power up scenario. Or maybe the PSU is just defective.

sou123

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2013
So you tested this psu on multiple system and it didn't work. what do you need help with?
I wanted to know if this problem was common and if it is fixable quickly because it seems to work when the pins are shorted, only when its connected to a PC its switching off.

Last edited:

sou123

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2013
I don't know if this is the right answer or not but it might be that your pc is pulling more power than your VS450 can handle. It might have triggered the overcurrent protection of the power supply resulting in a no power up scenario. Or maybe the PSU is just defective.
I don't think that's the issue the systems are just core 2 duo e8500 and AMD A8 6600k without graphics cards.

May 21, 2021
Well.. since you've tested it with multiple systems and the power supply is spitting out the same problems, it shouldnt be a motherboard short. Do you still have warranty on the psu? I would just RMA if you still can *cheers

sou123

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2013
Well.. since you've tested it with multiple systems and the power supply is spitting out the same problems, it shouldnt be a motherboard short. Do you still have warranty on the psu? I would just RMA if you still can *cheers
Yes there's warranty remaining but the only service center is a city away and nothings open because of covid lockdowns :I . I'll try to RMA when it all opens up. Thanks.