PC turning on and off at times

drxke

Honorable
Jan 26, 2013
Hi!

I'm new to this forum and I have a problem with my Desktop.

My specs are

Intel 3570k
Asrock Extreme4 z77 motherboard
Corsair vengeance 8gb ram
Corsair HX620w
OCZ Vertex4 128gb
WD Caviar Blue 1tb

I have no video card and using the iGPU since I'm still saving up for a decent gpu.

The problem is, I turn on the pc and it posts and starts up and I'm able to use it for hours. Then it shuts down randomly and tries to turn on again. rarely now, it is able to turn on completely and i'm able to use it again then turns of again after some time. sometimes it turns on makes it past post then turns off again but most of the time it just doesn't post or even show dr debug (dr debug just blinks then shuts off again) completely. I'm stumped.

I check the temperature of the cpu if i get the cpu to turn on but it doesn't get past 50degrees celsius when I use it but it still turns off. I also checked if the psu is hot (not sure if i am able to know if it's hot just by touching outside of the case of psu) but it isn't.

I don't know what to do and I don't want to buy any component unless I'm sure what's really wrong.

Thanks

your having a power issue keep the pc off to keep from burning out other parts. I would rma the power supply first with a note that it not holding/staying on. if the issues not fixed with a new power supply then there an issue with the mb. you can try downloading hardware monitor and watch the 12/3v/5v lines in the monitor to see if they start to drop. most times it a bad 12v line.

Chibinho

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
Have you tried to remove the CPU, and apply new thermal paste? make sure the cooler is sitting tight. And check all the cabling. Plug the computer to another Power Socket. because where i live, The power tends to fail for a few seconds and if you don't have an UPS, the computer Shuts down and restarts.

drxke

Honorable
Jan 26, 2013

I"ll borrow a PSU to test this. Thanks for the reply. if problem still persists, I'll RMA the board. and there are times I can get it turned on for quite a while but usually, it doesn't even post. if i can get it to post and to start screen then I'll download a hardware monitor. what are the best out there?

drxke

Honorable
Jan 26, 2013

I just reapplied the paste recently since i brought to shop to warranty and reassembled my parts. This was a long issue and tried to bring to distro. it has a bipolar attitude, it didn't work when they tested it there and it worked once i got it back and now it's exhibiting the same problem as before. the temps are okay though, but I'll check just to be sure if i have seated the cooler right. thanks