Oct 10, 2022
(Sorry for the repost but I need help)
My PC has been having an issue where it turns on for a second then off immediately. This started happening after my power cut out once. However the first time it happened, it waited an hour or so and it was able to boot up fully without any issues. I thought that was that until it started happening again and I'm currently stumped. Right now I do some weird routine where I unplug the PSU and let it set for however long and then plug it back in and it works again. But I want to diagnose the issue before it fully stops working. Any advice?
Specs:
CPU: i5 Hexacore 9600 KF 3.7 GHz
GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 Super
RAM: TridentZ 16GB(8x2) DDR4 3000
Cooler: Corsair H115i RGB Platinum 140mm
PSU: Cooler Master MWE 550W 80PlusGold Modular power supply
SSD: WD Blue SATA SSD M.2 2280 1TB

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Recommended PSU is 650W for the 2070 super. There is typically some wiggle room there but would think that the first place to start would be. Have you looked through Event Viewer or Reliability history to see what codes are being thrown.

Oct 10, 2022
Recommended PSU is 650W for the 2070 super. There is typically some wiggle room there but would think that the first place to start would be. Have you looked through Event Viewer or Reliability history to see what codes are being thrown.
My PC isn't on right now so I can't use the event viewer. This PC is over 2 years old and hasn't had this issue until recently. Anything else to look at?

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Well, not really.

You had a power surge event on what may well be an insufficient power supply. If you can't get the PC to power up at this point, it would be a reasonable guess as a good starting point. Could be wrong, might be more damage as is the nature of power spikes and sensitive equipment. One of among many reasons why battery backups/power conditioners are a desirable aspect of a complete system build out.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Oct 10, 2022
Well, not really.

You had a power surge event on what may well be an insufficient power supply. If you can't get the PC to power up at this point, it would be a reasonable guess as a good starting point. Could be wrong, might be more damage as is the nature of power spikes and sensitive equipment. One of among many reasons why battery backups/power conditioners are a desirable aspect of a complete system build out.
I see, well if it does turn on after the usual routine, I'll take a look at the event viewer. Thanks for the advice