PC turns on, no signal to monitor

Sam_missles

Reputable
Nov 16, 2014
Last night I cut my computer off by putting it to sleep, planning to resume my work the next morning. At around 4AM, I wake up and see that my PC is "on". By that I mean the power button is blue, however there is no display. I get up and can't get it to respond, decide to cut the losses power it off and fix it in the morning. Now, all I can get it to do is power on. There is never any display, or power to the periphrials. At one point I was able to get it to a boot screen, but then the screen went black and would not respond again. I've tried reseting cmos, using the stock gpu output, everything on google. I'm at wits end. Any suggestions? My USB ports are getting power, I can plug up other appliances like my bluetooth earbuds and they will charge.

Edit: if it helps any, on boot the cpu fan spins louder than normal, and will not tune down

Solution
Ok, single beeps (long, or short) indicate issues with either the memory itself (we ruled this out with new memory) or the memory subsystem on the motherboard. The long beep signifies the RAM can be detected, but is not able to be refreshed. This is almost always the motherboard.
The short single beep means the first Dimm slot on the motherboard is bad, which usually equates to a bad motherboard also.
The good news is the CPU is most likely ok, as well as all other parts of the PC besides the motherboard. Bad news is you will need a new motherboard.
(IMO)
Check all cables (i.e. make sure they're seated properly, by pulling each one out and putting them back) inside and outside the PC. Check the PC with another monitor and/or check the monitor with another PC to determine if the PC or the screen is causing the problem.

Jesse_20

Distinguished
Might be a failing hard drive which can cause problems with posts hanging/failing. If you have a way to make a usb boot/repair drive for windows, try disconnecting the hard drive and booting from it, or an OS dvd. If this is successful, the drive is likely bad.
Have you tried removing all the Ram and trying one stick at a time in each Dimm slot?
"Everything on google" doesn't help us rule out possible causes. Could you be a bit more specific on what else you tried?

Sam_missles

Reputable
Nov 16, 2014

I have switched out the HDDs, same result. Tried single sticks of RAM in every slot, same result.

Sam_missles

Reputable
Nov 16, 2014

Monitor is fine, already checked it with another PC. Removed RAM, PSU, GPU, and reseated CPU as well, no results.

Jesse_20

Distinguished
It's most likely a faulty motherboard issue or a failing PSU then. Less likely, a CPU failure.
To isolate the faulty component, take the mobo out of the case and set it up on a box (to rule out ground issues) with only CPU and PSU attached. If it doesn't have an onboard speaker, you can add one of those too.
Try to power on the board by touching a screwdriver to the front panel power button pins on the motherbopard. You should get a series of (4 usually) beeps signifying the RAM is not detected. If you don't get these beeps ( and you know you have a speaker attached), then the faulty component is one of those listed above, in the order of most to least likely. Only special equipment or replacement parts to test with can narrow it down from there.

If you DO get beeps when you power up, then add one stick of ram and test it in all slots until successful, or cycle trhough remaining sticks in each dim slot in the same manner. If it does not post at this point, it's the ram.

If you encountered no issues posting outside of the case, continue adding components outside until you have a full build or a failure. If you successfully build outside, then the case was the issue.
HTH

Jesse_20

Distinguished
On a side note, you can also do a visual inspection of the motherboard. You are looking for blown or bulging capacitors. Do a google search to see what these look like. If you see any, then it's certainly the motherboard.

Sam_missles

Reputable
Nov 16, 2014

Encountered a long, shrill, beep upon removing all ram and trying to boot. I'm not familiar with bios codes, so I'm not sure what that means. Upon replacing a single RAM stick, in every slot, each RAM stick failed to provide a successful boot. Does that mean all 4 have gone bad? At the exact same time? I'm just so confused at this point.......

Update: Also removed it from the case, still no change. I'm gonna reiterate the fact I can't get my keyboard to light either, but it isn't because I get no USB power as I have already tested that. Fml, this is so frustrating.

Sam_missles

Reputable
Nov 16, 2014

I've used the PSU in other PCs before, very recently in fact. I do have another PSU though, however it's quite small in comparison (I think I'd be switching from 700w+ to 300/250w) but I can see if it works.

Side note, my build doesn't need 700w it just happens to be the PSU I had on hand at the time of building. 300w should do fine with what I have. >be able to boot, at least

Update: No change, used other PSU and same results.

Jesse_20

Distinguished
The bios beep depends on the make and model of the motherboard and can be different depending on the type of Bios used on the board.
Knowing the make and model of your PC or motherboard would allow us to problem solve it a bit more.
It is very unlikely that all 4 sticks went bad at once. The likely culprit is the motherboard now since the issue persists with a second PSU also.
You can try removing and reseating the CPU in it's socket. Look at the pins in the socket on the motherboard for bent or missing ones while it's out. I doubt you find anything here since you were not messing around in the case when the problem started, but it's worth the try.

Sam_missles

Reputable
Nov 16, 2014

Reseated the CPU already, no change. Motherboard is a stock FOXCONN, nothing special.

Purchased new RAM and still no change.

Jesse_20

Distinguished
Ok, single beeps (long, or short) indicate issues with either the memory itself (we ruled this out with new memory) or the memory subsystem on the motherboard. The long beep signifies the RAM can be detected, but is not able to be refreshed. This is almost always the motherboard.
The short single beep means the first Dimm slot on the motherboard is bad, which usually equates to a bad motherboard also.
The good news is the CPU is most likely ok, as well as all other parts of the PC besides the motherboard. Bad news is you will need a new motherboard.
(IMO)

Solution

Sam_missles

Reputable
Nov 16, 2014

Thanks for the help. Final option is ordering a new mobo, will update when I get that done and test.

Apr 14, 2019
I had this problem when I installed another stick of RAM. I did changed the SATA port that my hard drive was connected to but I also physically installed and uninstalled both sticks of RAM. I think the latter was the solution to the problem

TRENDING THREADS