Question PC turns on without displaying anything ?

Dec 31, 2022
I've had my pc for the past like 3 years and never had an issue with it, but today it's randomly started turning on with no display (fans spin, keyboard powers but not mouse).

I've ruled out my displays/display cables, reseated ram/cpu/gpu, tried individual ram, reset bios, tried other ports including motherboard, and ensured everything's plugged to no success

ram: 32gb 3200 vengeance rgb (4x8gb)
mb: Prime b450m-A
cpu: Ryzen 5 3600
gpu: Rx 580
psu: Prestige 600W 80+

Any suggestions? Thanks

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums and a Happy New Year, newcomer!

tried other ports including motherboard
Your processor doesn't have an iGPU nor is it an APU, so you won't get display output from the display output ports on the motherboard.

Might want to take your GPU and drop it into a known working donor system to rule out your GPU from being the culprit. Might want to see if sourcing(borrow, not buy) a reliably built PSU with the same wattage as your current unit, at your entire system's disposal. If the system randomly powers up, then it's your PSU or your power source from the wall. If the system reboots when taxed or when idling at the OS GUI, then it's a PSU or thermal issue.

You've posted this thread in the Prebuilt & Enterprise section, was this system built by a builder at the shop?

Dec 31, 2022
Welcome to the forums and a Happy New Year, newcomer!

tried other ports including motherboard
Your processor doesn't have an iGPU nor is it an APU, so you won't get display output from the display output ports on the motherboard.

Might want to take your GPU and drop it into a known working donor system to rule out your GPU from being the culprit. Might want to see if sourcing(borrow, not buy) a reliably built PSU with the same wattage as your current unit, at your entire system's disposal. If the system randomly powers up, then it's your PSU or your power source from the wall. If the system reboots when taxed or when idling at the OS GUI, then it's a PSU or thermal issue.

You've posted this thread in the Prebuilt & Enterprise section, was this system built by a builder at the shop?
would it be smarter to bring it to some shop where they could try out individual parts instead of getting rid of the gpu entirely? Current one works perfectly for what I have to do so wouldnt want to get rid of it if it really is just a power supply or loose cable issue

and yes, it was built by someone in a shop. Not sure where though

Lutfij

Titan
I never used the phrase get rid of the GPU. Troubleshooting is a process of elimination. You swap assumed culprit parts out and replace them with known working parts until you're left with the logical conclusion, well, you also go through a checklist of things to do before saying, AHA! .

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran