Question Pc underperforming

Jamie_41

Reputable
Jun 23, 2016
Hi guys ive recently got my mates old pc off him as my ex partner broke my old one ( long story lol) but my great friend says i could have his old pc as he has a new one now . So my issue is that this is struggling to run games at a steady fps, its like games speed up and slow down and sometimes hang for a sec then it snaps back to the game and ive no idea whats going on. I put in new thermal paste in the cpu and gpu as i thought it was a temp issue but i dont think it is that so any help would be appriated.

Games i play are
XCOM 2
Company of heroes 2
total war games
arma 3

AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series
Processor AMD FX 6100 SIX core 3.3 GHz
8GB Ram
64 bit windows
Normal hard drive not ssd.

I think ive put all details need if anymore are needed let me know thanks again

Jamie_41

Reputable
Jun 23, 2016
Old crappy computer usually get that way because a lot of crappy software installed that slow it down. Maybe the harddrive is filled up, also contribute to underperforming.
Well ive wiped the hard drive recently annd its still having the issue. My mate says he used to play the same games on it with no issue so im lost lol.

Just to make sure: you are not pirating either Windows or any software? If you are, this is likely the problem. Also, no-CD patches can sometimes reduce performance so same goes for these. In addition to this, you are not using driver downloaders, speed booster, and system optimisers etc, right, and only download drivers from the original manufacturer's site?

If you pass those, then I recommended downloading MSI Afterburner. Use this to monitor in game resource usage, as well as hardware temps, then get back to use with the numbers - primarily CPU usage, GPU usage, CPU temp, GPU temp and RAM usage.

Jamie_41

Reputable
Jun 23, 2016
Just to make sure: you are not pirating either Windows or any software? If you are, this is likely the problem. Also, no-CD patches can sometimes reduce performance so same goes for these. In addition to this, you are not using driver downloaders, speed booster, and system optimisers etc, right, and only download drivers from the original manufacturer's site?

If you pass those, then I recommended downloading MSI Afterburner. Use this to monitor in game resource usage, as well as hardware temps, then get back to use with the numbers - primarily CPU usage, GPU usage, CPU temp, GPU temp and RAM usage.
Well i dont have a windows key so its not activated i keep getting notifications as its not activated as my mate has used it on his current computer and i dont have my windows 10 key from my privious pc as i was just using this one till i got a proper one but i never would have thought that would have been the issue. Yes stupidly i have been using driver software to update like driver booster and gamebooster as i was deperate and thought they were legit.

I'd recommend you wipe the hard drive then reinstall Windows. After doing this, make sure to only get the drivers from the original manufacturer's site.
What PSU does it have? If you are unsure, the sticker of the model name will be on the side of it.

Jamie_41

Reputable
Jun 23, 2016
I'd recommend you wipe the hard drive then reinstall Windows. After doing this, make sure to only get the drivers from the original manufacturer's site.
What PSU does it have? If you are unsure, the sticker of the model name will be on the side of it.
I dont even have windows just now tho so wiping is an issue unless theres a free version lol. PSU is a ANTEC ea-650 50 W