Question PC unstable: freezing, boot loops

NoPuhi

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2016
My friend has issues with his PC and as someone who is not completely foreign to diagnosing and repairing issues i offered to take a look at it. I have never seen anything like this so i'm out of my league here.

At first couple of attempts, the pc would turn on for a couple of seconds. Fans spin and RGB light glow. After 2 seconds it turns off and on again and the cycle goes on like this. After multiple attempts to start it, I decided to remove the GPU and unplug the SSD. Without the SSD and GPU the PC would turn on and stay on but it wasn't outputting any video or audio signals from the internal speaker. After switching multiple video cables, monitors and video ports I installed the GPU in my own pc to test it and it worked fine. Next iIdecide to remove the single RAM stick and try again without GPU and SSD.
This time the speaker lets out a code. I think it was 3 short beeps, if i remember correctly.
Next I install the RAM stick back in, but in a different slot (first slot out of 2). There is still no video signal but the speaker lets out a high post beep, followed by one long, three short and one delayed short beep (-... .)
I did some research and learn that in Asus motherboards this is usually to indicate a problem with video output.
Since I established the GPU was working fine, I install it back in, plug in the ssd and give it another try.
Lo and behold, the monitor displays the BIOS prompt. I boot into BIOS but settings seem fine. Temperatures are around 30C.
I exit and let it boot into windows. It does, withouth a problem. Windows is loaded and im sitting at the desktop. I thought that's it. Problem is gone. I decide to shut her down and check again just in case.
After the shut down the monitor lost signal but the pc was still running. Fans spinning and lights were on. I held down the power button to turn it off, then pressed it again back on. After that the previous problems came back. Sometimes it boot loops, sometimes its on but no signal. Every now and again it manages to boot into windows but ater a minute it would freeze. Everything becomes unresponsive but the monitor still displays the frozen image.
I managed to boot into safe mode and it seems to work fine. I spent 5 minutes opening available programs just to check and there was no problems. Restarting into normal mode freezes after a minute again. Then after every attempt to power it on again it goes back to either a boot loop or running but no signal.
I'm not sure what the culprit might be any more.

TLDR:
PC either stuck in boot loop, on but no signal or boots into windows but freezes after a minute. Safe mode works fine.