[SOLVED] PC upgrade advice (new build).

Nov 3, 2022
Soooo, black friday is around the corner and I wanna upgrade my system. I´ve had this build for just under 3 years and Im noticing some lower FPS than I see in benchmarks with roughly the same specs. So since I believe my build is partially outdated I figured i could make some changes.

heres my list of current parts and a speculation of what i think would work best for me. Trying to keep the budget for black friday under 600-700 euros.

Current:
  • r5 2600 with stock cooler
  • Gigabyte B450 SH2 micro atx
  • 1x16 2666mhz ram single channel
  • 650 watt psu (idk the brand its non modulair ketchup mustard cabled)
  • RTX 2060 KF2
  • 512 gb sata SSD bootdrive
  • 2 TB seagate HDD
  • Corsair 4000D Airflow
What i want to upgrade to:
  • R7 5800X3D
  • AIO cooler but I dont know what to pick (only if it can fit within the budget)
  • MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus mobo
  • 2x16 3200mhz corsair vengeance ram
  • extra m.2 1 tb ssd (if its within the budget)
  • 3070 ti which ill buy next year somewhere
  • Corsair 750 watt 80+ gold psu fully modulair
I have decent knowlegde about pc building but since i cant figure out why my current build isnt living up to regular benchmarks i figured you guys know whats better than me and help me decide if this upgrade is the right call or not.

Solution
Single channel memory is hurting you the most now. Go ahead and buy a 3600 kit and give that a try, might not be able to get to 3600 though, but you can just run it at 3200. Your motherboard is also good for a CPU upgrade without having to swap it out.

I would wait on the new PSU until you order the new GPU.

SSD could be done anytime.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

B550 chipset with a tight timing(sub CL17) 3600Mhz ram kit would be a good combo. As for your PSU, you should look into an 850W or higher, reliably built unit, due to transient power spikes. Corsair being the brand listed in your PSU choice, while you've also mentioned the advertised wattage, though we need to know the series/model of the unit.

Steer miles clear of MSI branded AIO's.

Last edited:

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Single channel memory is hurting you the most now. Go ahead and buy a 3600 kit and give that a try, might not be able to get to 3600 though, but you can just run it at 3200. Your motherboard is also good for a CPU upgrade without having to swap it out.

Solution
Nov 3, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

B550 chipset with a tight timing(sub CL17) 3600Mhz ram kit would be a good combo. As for your PSU, you should look into an 850W or higher, reliably built unit, due to transient power spikes. Corsair being the brand listed in your PSU choice, while you've also mentioned the advertised wattage, though we need to know the series/model of the unit.

Steer miles clear of an MSI branded AIO's.

I guess i´d buy the RM750x or RM850x for psu but not that ik which model would be most beneficial. Do you have any specific motherboard in mind for the 5800x3d that doesnt cost a ton by any chance?

Nov 3, 2022

i had a feeling my ram was the issue ty for letting me know. I might cut some corners in the other parts and try and get the 3600 mhz. And buying the psu and gpu together makes sense ig so it will still provide plenty of power even with a 5800x3d?

rustigsmed

Distinguished
yes keep your mobo if you are going for a 5800x3d (great choice). you need to have the bios version F60 or newer so make sure you update it before getting rid of your 2600 (get it from the gigabyte website and follow instructions).

yes go for a 1tb-2tb nvme and 2x16gb ram is a good option as stated above - 3600mhz CL16 would be a good choice. You can't really OC the cpu so i wouldn't worry too much about going overboard with a cpu cooler. 750watt psu is the minimum specs suggested by nvidia for the 3070ti. I would go for 850watts if you can afford it.

I'd almost hold off on the gpu if you can as they are about to get a lot cheaper.. perhaps a two stage build - up to you of course - you could get the rest of the rig ready (should see some nice perf uplift with the cpu/ram anyway). if your existing ssd is nvme then i think the mobo only has one m.2 slot so just be aware of that in selecting your ssd/nvme.

good luck - it will be a great upgrade that you will notice.

Nov 3, 2022
yes keep your mobo if you are going for a 5800x3d (great choice). you need to have the bios version F60 or newer so make sure you update it before getting rid of your 2600 (get it from the gigabyte website and follow instructions).

yes go for a 1tb-2tb nvme and 2x16gb ram is a good option as stated above - 3600mhz CL16 would be a good choice. You can't really OC the cpu so i wouldn't worry too much about going overboard with a cpu cooler. 750watt psu is the minimum specs suggested by nvidia for the 3070ti. I would go for 850watts if you can afford it.

I'd almost hold off on the gpu if you can as they are about to get a lot cheaper.. perhaps a two stage build - up to you of course - you could get the rest of the rig ready (should see some nice perf uplift with the cpu/ram anyway). if your existing ssd is nvme then i think the mobo only has one m.2 slot so just be aware of that in selecting your ssd/nvme.

good luck - it will be a great upgrade that you will notice.
I mean if i keep my mobo i wont be able to buy the 2x16 ram since my current mobo only has 2 ram slots
Do you maybe have any recommendations?

rustigsmed

Distinguished
yes the recommendation is to not use the existing 1x16gb 2667mhz that you have - sell it but just use 2 new sticks. the speeds aren't compatible unless you buy another 1x16gb 2667mhz ram, which you would probably want to avoid.

Here's what I would do:

Get a 2x16GB DDR4-3600/16 kit (about $55), even if you do nothing else, this will improve your gaming by a lot.
a decent 1 TB NVMe drive now runs about $60-70, pick up one any time, 2 TB runs about double that.
r7-5800X3D will drop in your B450 with a bios upgrade, no need for a new mobo. If you cant swing the price, get a 5700X instead
Go for a Vetroo V5 air cooler: excellent cooling. fairly low price
Rather than a 3070ti, you could keep your existing power supply with a RX6650 (which is about 95% of a 3060ti, which can do 1440p gaming on high settings just fine)

TRENDING THREADS