Question PC Upgrade Question

Apr 9, 2022
My system is incredibly outdated and I'm afraid it's that time again where I need to upgrade. I have spent a while looking around for a prebuild that I could buy to 'fire and forget' but I've a few good components in my current build that would go to waste and I feel like the main thing I need at the moment is a CPU upgrade, my 970 can hold out for a while until I can try get myself on the list for a 4000 series when they come around.

With my system being so outdated a new CPU would mean a new Mobo due to the chipset and I've been looking at a Ryzen 5 5600. Could anyone advise on upgrades?

The system is used mainly for gaming, Budget for upgrades (not including a GPU as I will wait for the new series) I'm looking sub 500GBP however it can be flexible if it's best for build longevity.

Current Build:
CPU: Intel i5 6400
Mobo: Gigabyte H170-HD3-CF
RAM: 16GB 2113Mhz (Cannot remember the brand)
GPU: GTX 970 G1 Gaming Edition
PSU: EVGA 750W Gold Rated Modular
240GB SSD (SATA)
1TB HDD

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

How old is the PSU in your build? If the unit's up to scratch, then I'd personally swap out the motherboard, ram and processor for the upgrade, leave everything as is. Preferred site for purchase? PCPartPicker will do? Make and model of your chassis?

Reactions: TurkishAmerican
Apr 9, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

How old is the PSU in your build? If the unit's up to scratch, then I'd personally swap out the motherboard, ram and processor for the upgrade, leave everything as is. Preferred site for purchase? PCPartPicker will do? Make and model of your chassis?

Thanks for the warm welcome!

PSU is 7 years old at this point, would you recommend swapping this out?
Any site will do as long as they ship to UK.
Case - Fractal Design R6 Mid Tower