Question PC using 1 Network, Game using a different one?

seipherwood

Honorable
Feb 13, 2018
Would it be possible to have a game use for instance, my phones Hotspot, while the rest of my computer uses the Hotel Wifi?

I only have a single Wifi Adapter.

Not with a single wifi adapter. You can do it with multiple adapters if for example you would buy a USB wifi or use a USB cable to tether the phone.

It gets very messy since you now must tell your computer what "game" traffic really means and what "rest of the computer" means. It is done with the route command but you must get the list of actual addresses the game is using.

routes commands might be a bit messy if you never worked with it, you could use some 3rd party app which is more user friendly

something like this (winsock hook injector)
https://github.com/falahati/NetworkAdapterSelector
with that you can bind program to specific network adapter
screenshot.jpg

seipherwood

Honorable
Feb 13, 2018
Okay, thanks, ill give that a try.

EDIT
Is there easier instructions on how to use it?

Do i need to use the cmd stuff to attach it or do i just use the cmd stuff to install it and then use the Right Click -> Bind To option?

Last edited:

seipherwood

Honorable
Feb 13, 2018
Well, after testing this, im not sure what im doing wrong but its not working. I have the specific program run through my phone, but then everything uses my phone instead of my usb wifi adapter. I cant figure out how to seperate them apparently.

Plug phone in, it sees it as a Ethernet 2, but for some reason everything wants to go through it instead of my wifi adapter.

I know nothing about that software but there has been something similar for years called forcebindip. Microsoft constantly breaks it with patches and was taking weeks for the community to get it working again.
In addition since things like chrome no longer have a single process it got even more messy to configure this. Some games also have multiple process and you get into nasty stuff like a steam game where the steam session uses one connection and the game the other and because the IPs don't match you get security issues.
I am not sure how this program attempts to fix some of these issues.

What you want to do is a messy issue no matter if you use a program like this or you try to use the route command. Nothing is simple anymore like a single program running on your machine talks to a single server at the game company.

It can be done it just takes a lot of effort.

Well, after testing this, im not sure what im doing wrong but its not working. I have the specific program run through my phone, but then everything uses my phone instead of my usb wifi adapter. I cant figure out how to seperate them apparently.

Plug phone in, it sees it as a Ethernet 2, but for some reason everything wants to go through it instead of my wifi adapter.
you will need to change netword card priority, set your mobile network as metered connection, that should make your wifi with higher priority

otherwise in adapter settings under tcp/ip settings
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-change-priority-order-network-adapters-windows-10

seipherwood

Honorable
Feb 13, 2018
Hm Well i got it to use my Wifi now, but it wont use Network for the program i want it to.

Not sure how to set the program to use Ethernet 2 instead of Wifi 3. Im guessing its because the game and launcher are 2 different things.

EDIT
More testing and it appears FFXI just refuses to work if it touches NetworkAdapterSelector ...

Last edited: