PC Vendors Worried About Windows 8's Future

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MarioJP

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2007
PC vendors have bigger things to worry about than just Windows 8. There isn't going to be Windows 9. There isn't going to be a start menu without metro. Heck even metro might be replaced with something more "radical". Go ahead look up Windows Blue which is the code name for Windows 8 codename blue. Here i made it easier for your guys

http://www.neowin.net/news/windows-blue-coming-next-year

and its coming out next year of 2013. So this means it be based of windows 8.

spectrewind

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
[citation][nom]Caffeinecarl[/nom]That's an insult to Windows ME![/citation]

LOL... Ya know... My favorite command to type into a WinME cmd prompt (once you figure out who to access it): format c: /q /u. Or using deltree on the windows directory.

Upgrading *from* WinME *to* Win98SE (or Win2K workstation) was truly awesome, back in the day... ;o)

donsagrott

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
> I predict that once PC users who think that they still need the windows "start button", discover that in windows 8 -

you DO NOT need the start button, really you dont!

( http://sospep.com/view/article?id=894 )

> Windows 8 sales will take off , the 40 million copies they sold in the first month, will just be a drop in the bucket, the windows blue sky is the limit !!!

goodegg

Distinguished
May 20, 2010
[citation][nom]meluvcookies[/nom]It continually amazes me how the common sense of boards like this one can predict the failure of something like Win8 MONTHS (if not years) in advance, and yet Microsoft (and others) continue down their paths of failure. Here's hoping that Win9 puts the "Win" back in windows.[/citation]

If you listen to this board, Apple has been failing hard for the last 5 years and continuing to anger its customer base and put out underpowered, overpriced crap in a fancy box since the iMac. They should be bankrupt any minute now.

Win8 was a necessary step. And it COULD and SHOULD be a great operating system. The problem was that there's no easy way to get out of Metro and into the familiar workspace we have grown to love. Win8 is necessary because computing is changing. Microsoft has FINALLY gotten the hint that the reason Apple isn't failing is that enough people have created an ecosystem of their products and their software integrates all of it easily. Win8 is the first step to make that a reality for Microsoft.

Of course people will initially reject it. Until everyone has Win8 running on their phones, tablets and computers, plus integration with some kind of set-top box for their home entertainment system, and possibly some vehicle integration, it's just going to be an awkward transition. But Microsoft HAD to do something. Android (Google ChromeOS) has started selling laptops now. They're cheap, and if successful, Microsoft could find itself in 3rd place for mobile computing pretty quickly. And we all know that more laptops are sold than desktops now.

Computing has branched into work computing and leisure computing. Win8 is Microsoft's expensive gamble to hold on to the leisure computing sector.

Zingam_Duo

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
Stop yelling how great Windows 7 is! It is a piece of shit that takes 3 minutes or more to boot up on a modern laptop!!! It is full of bugs and can be easily infested by viruses. Without third party firewalls and anti-malware programs you are dead.

G

so all you windows 8 haters, if microsoft had of included the "security blanket" i mean the "start bar menu" from the start of the release of windows 8 then windows 8 would of been grate ? lol you lot make me laff !! flame flame flame thats all ya can do !! well i'm love'n windows 8 and it works for everything i use my pc for lol so somit else for ya to hate :p while ya on the hate band wagon ... i believe that its more down to the LACK OF CASH THE NORMAL PERSON HAS THESE DAYS not because of a stupid start menu :/ get a grip ffs lol the only people who care about the start menu as far as i can read is the hard core windows 98 club who moaned like fu$k when windows xp came out then loved it (they didnt like the change) again probs the same crowd with vista (vista fully serv packed is not that bad but so much flaming it had to go) and now they have to change again the spitn the dummy again, well why dont you all just stop haten everything and just reload window 98 back on your pc's lol sozz but grow the fu$k up its just an O/S not the end of the world!

Jigo

Honorable
Oct 8, 2012
[citation][nom]southernshark[/nom]I tend to think the PC manufacturers need to step it up. How many of them offer touch screens? How many even offer decent resolution in their laptops?How come 1080p is still a standard resolution even in PCs monitors?How many PC boxes offer bluetooth standard? Why isn't wifi on the mobo? Why do I need to plug into a USB port to use a wireless mouse? Shouldn't that feature be built in?These kind of questions are just as important, if not more important than the OS.[/citation]

My 5 year old Dell screens, and even the CRTs before have 1200pixels in height.

High resolution on laptops is for brawlers...seriously, no one want's a 1920 resolution on 13" screens.
My PC has Bluetooth, many have, nearly all the laptops, same for Wifi on laptops.

Jigo

Honorable
Oct 8, 2012
[citation][nom]Zingam_Duo[/nom]Stop yelling how great Windows 7 is! It is a piece of shit that takes 3 minutes or more to boot up on a modern laptop!!! It is full of bugs and can be easily infested by viruses. Without third party firewalls and anti-malware programs you are dead.[/citation]

mine boots in 12seconds, has no firewall and av since the beta, no infections.

and now, go play with your macbook...oh wait, there are nearly no good games for it...what a pity

mesab66

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
stevevnicks: (yet another) LOL......please re-read everything! - you actually don't have to go far for the penny to drop, then you'll realise there's a little bit more not to like....unless, of course, you are one of the few predominantly tablet users.

MarioJP

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2007
[citation][nom]stevevnicks[/nom] grow the fu$k up its just an O/S not the end of the world![/citation]

Dec 21,2012 would disagree

G

mesab66 quote : stevevnicks: (yet another) LOL......please re-read everything! - you actually don't have to go far for the penny to drop, then you'll realise there's a little bit more not to like....unless, of course, you are one of the few predominantly tablet users.

wtf ? err ok if you say so, nope have it on 2 pc's and 1 laptop dont want a tablet no use to me mate ! oh and btw i still have an old dell P4 3.0ghz running windows xp for old software, try'd windows 7 again after using windows 8 for about a month and i hate windows 7's start menu it gets on my tits now lol as im used to a newer way of using my pc with out the "security blanket" i mean the "start bar menu" so keep hate'n mate :p

dthx

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
Windows 8 has none of the problems Vista or Millenium had: it is light on resources and I've heard no reports on instability or performance issues with it.
The biggest problem of Windows8 is that the hardware quality since a couple of years and the maturity of Windows 7 have reached a quality level that was never seen before.
10-20 years ago, in the first years of the "multimedia" era, the best PC money could buy was still too sluggish and unstable for the recent software of that time. This evolution was forcing users to update and upgrade their systems continuously. This is no longer the case and only us enthousiasts are still exploring the new systems, always searching for something better or different while mainstream users just use what they have ... and are happy with it !

G

at the end of the day microsoft should of put the option of the "security blanket" aka "start bar menu" in windows 8 for PC's because thats where most of the flame'n started .... as for drivers and hardware support it gets better overtime, same with all other O/S relesed before, it's easy to learn how to use the new O/S for your needs rather than have a tantrum about its new look, feel and way of navigation, or stick to the old way you feel happy with, although if my six year old daughter can get her head wrap'd around how to use windows 8 for what she use's it for, which is admittedly only internet and playing games then i cant help but laff at the older people who flame so much ... ermm try learning and stop acting like spoiled kids who didnt get the sweets they wanted springs to mind lol

hrmes

Honorable
Oct 30, 2012
[citation][nom]digiex[/nom]Why worry, there will always be a Windows 9...[/citation]

We need to worry if Windows 9 will be like Windows 8...

Parrdacc

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
"The lack of awareness from consumers exists despite Microsoft's efforts in advertising the product."

What effort? I think I have seen a total of 2 commercials for Windows 8 within the last 2 months.

That aside I have been using Windows 8 for about 3 weeks now and I have to say I am not impressed. Businesses should, imo, flat out stay away from it and as for the general user they are going to hate it for the sheer reason it has a different interface. For the more techie of us, well where to begin? To many things I see wrong. In all honesty I get a very Vista feel when using it. I have this lacking feeling and that 8 is a preview of what 9 will be. In the end I went back to Windows 7.

Guess it really does not matter either way cause outside of work or gaming I use Linux anyway:)

"long-awaited" operating system?"

Not really. I didnt even know anything about it till i started reading about it here (and yes, i saw ads about windows 8, just ignored them 100%).

Microsoft advertisment strategy is so weak, that 1,5 billion translates into 60% of the population not knowing it exists...
But everyone knoes Gangnam style, right?

G

i do have to admit i did think wtf ? windows 8 ?? already ? that dont make sence right now cos microsoft well missed the tablet cash wagon.. still i upgraded and happy that i did. it dont seem that long ago windows 7 was the latest n gratest so i can understand that, but i cant wait to see what people will be moaning about with windows 9, 10, 11 ,12 ,13, 14, 15 because people always love to find something to winge about.

whyso

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
On the other hand if pc vendors were concerned about windows 8 hurting their pc sales they could add windows 7 as an option.

(Dell, Hp, do not offer windows 7 but they could)

Jigo

Honorable
Oct 8, 2012
[citation][nom]whyso[/nom]On the other hand if pc vendors were concerned about windows 8 hurting their pc sales they could add windows 7 as an option.(Dell, Hp, do not offer windows 7 but they could)[/citation]
they do...at least HP, got one new Elitebook in front of me, with win7...

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
If PC is defined as all desktops, notebooks/laptops, ultrabooks and tablets, then a 20% drop in overall sales runs contrary to the rosy picture MS is painting about Windows 8 adoption.

G

Let's look at the king of user interface: Apple. They have the dominant touch OS in the world, iOS. Their laptop/desktop OS continues to draw users for it's ease of adoption and consistency over the years. Even Bill Gates would rant to his staff that he wanted "a Mac on the PC!" So what does Balmer and his band of morons do? Thinking they know better than Apple (obviously not) they create one OS that works not great on both touch surface and desk/laptop settings, rather than creating a great one for each. Idiots. XP was used well beyond its intended lifespan. HINT: keep the interface, beef up the infrastructure. But that's not what was done. Yup, we're seeing the fall of the Roman Empire right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.