Question PC was working fine, couple days later it shut off during gaming and Red DRAM light stays on mobo and PC wont boot anymore

Jun 18, 2024
New Build:
Ryzen 9 7900x
Asus AMD radeon 7800xt OC edition
Gigabyte B650 Gaming x AX (rev 1.0/1.1/1.2)
Originally deep cool ls720 360 aio front mont but the pump seemed like it failed and stopped working or atleast led gave out (So I took out and installed a corsair h150i Elite Capellix XT)
this aio pump and rgb seem to work fine

Corsair vengeance RGB 2x32 gb ram 6,000 mhz(bought new corsair vengeance RGB 2x32 by 6,400mhz and still faced the same issue with dram light, so don’t think it’s the ram necessarily)

Corsair Rm1000x 80 plus gold full modular ATX
Crucial P3 plus 1TB ssd PCLe gen 4 x 4 NVMe
Corsair 4000x case

(My issue didn’t start until a day or two after building my pc. Everything seem to boot and start up fine while a friend of mine help me build and start up the pc..

randomly while playing a game two days later and changing the quality in game, all of a sudden my pc shut off..)
first thing I noticed was the deep cool aio rgb had stopped working, and tried re plugging everything and plugging back in, I had then realized a red dot on the mobo which initially I thought was the cpu light, I took off the deep cool aio to realize the thermal paste had leaked over a little bit and in my head assumed either that happened itself which caused the cpu to overheat, or possibly the aio died which then led to the thermal paste bubbling or running over the cpu sides (new to pc so all guesses)

I had cleaned the whole cpu with rubbing alcohol and installed the corsair aio hoping it would change
to my surprise upon installation and checking the light if it turned off, I then realized it wasn’t the cpu light and actually was the DRAM led that’s still on

so after trouble shooting some, I bought the new ram sticks to hopefully fix the issue,
I saw the ram compatibility list for my board, and doesn’t have 32 gb at 6,000 I believe which is what I had, and only has 32gb at 6,400
could that have been the issue? regardless with the new ram installation, the DRAM light stayed on

I even tried flashing the bios, (still new to that, not sure if I 110% did it correctly, but did fat 32 on usb on my macbook, downloaded the zip, opened it and renamed the file to GIGABYTE.bin, used the q flash on the board, and the light flashed for a couple minutes then shut off the pc, “now what do I do?” or how do I know it was successful??

I’m just so lost on what to do and so so depressed because I was so stoked for my first pc build
seemed to be running perfect watching temps on adrenaline, and all of a sudden pc won’t boot anymore

p.s. looking through photos of the pc I noticed the red light had appeared in a video the night I brought it back home and set it up, the following day in another photo the DRAM light was still on.. but then two hours later in a another photo the light appeared to be off..

didn’t have the best video friday since I was just sending videos to friends, but seemed that the light was off, but then the light seems to come back on saturday after the pc shut down

just confused how it was working fine, and the light seemed to be going on and off but working until it didn’t anymore, not sure if it was the aio possible failure that cause the issue, or cpu, or the mobo

bunch of reading and research seems am5 or these gigabyte boards tend to all have similar issues

any help, tips, answers would be greatly appreciated as this has been giving me the biggest headache

Last edited by a moderator:

boju

Titan
Ambassador
What thermal paste did you use? Not liquid metal design i hope. Just normal paste is fine and btw just an air cooler is fine, ie Peerless Assassin, no need for aio and plus hsf last a lifetime, aio pumps will always fail eventually, not if but when. 7900 is easily cooled on a decent hsf.

If liquid metal was used and it spilled out because too much was used then it's possible damage was done to the motherboard. Am5 thermal paste guard may have helped, maybe get one if you reapply paste in future. And if you are using Thermal Grizzly or similar liquid metal then i suggest not use that and get Noctua NH1 paste or use what has been supplied by aio coolers you got, if any, some are pre applied.

Or it's possible you're over tightening the cooler, that can cause issues. Often causing stability issues, cpu/memory related bsods but rarely shutdowns. But i guess you couldn't completely rule that out. Tension is roughly about half to full turn of the mounting screw back from maximum.

Jun 18, 2024
What thermal paste did you use? Not liquid metal design i hope. Just normal paste is fine and btw just an air cooler is fine, ie Peerless Assassin, no need for aio and plus hsf last a lifetime, aio pumps will always fail eventually, not if but when. 7900 is easily cooled on a decent hsf.

If liquid metal was used and it spilled out because too much was used then it's possible damage was done to the motherboard. Am5 thermal paste guard may have helped, maybe get one if you reapply paste in future. And if you are using Thermal Grizzly or similar liquid metal then i suggest not use that and get Noctua NH1 paste or use what has been supplied by aio coolers you got, if any, some are pre applied.

Or it's possible you're over tightening the cooler, that can cause issues. Often causing stability issues, cpu/memory related bsods but rarely shutdowns. But i guess you couldn't completely rule that out. Tension is roughly about half to full turn of the mounting screw back from maximum.
My buddy used the Noctua thermal paste
but when I replaced the deep cool ls720 aio; I used the pre applied tm70 corsair attaches to the aio

so over tightened cpu cooler can cause the red DRAM light to stay on? I think a game did crash during that period and seemed funky not smooth but everything is so new to me