Commendable
Jun 21, 2020
Hi,

SPECIFICATIONS
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor
  • GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
  • CASE: PHANTEKS ECLIPSE P400 Tempered Glass USB3 ATX
  • SSD: 250GB 2.5" SATA3 3D TLC, 7mm, CRUCIAL MX500
  • RAM: RAM DDR4 16GB Kit (2x 8) PC4-25600 3200MT/s CL16 SR x8 1.35V Crucial BX Sport LT
  • PSU: BE QUIET! STRAIGHT POWER 11 550W (BN281) 80Plus Gold modular ATX
  • HDD (SSHD): ST1000LM014-1EJ164-SSHD
  • MOBO: MSI B450 Tomahawk Max

a week or two ago I noticed a weird sound ... it is a case fan and the sound is something like that (tktktktktkktktkt) basically noting special really, but yesterday, when I was playing a game I heard a whizling sound when my GPU was at 100% (however, I don't hear it when CPU is at 100%, and GPU is at less than 10%). At first, I thought it was that fan but today when I unplugged it from motherboard, that "tktkttktktk" sound stopped, but there's still whizling sound.

I can't really tell if it's from GPU or PSU (GPU will be old 3 years soon and the PSU is 1.5 years old)

I read about it on internet about it and found out it might be due to dust ... the truth is I did clean my computer a few times (I bought everything expect GPU and SSHD 1.5 years ago - with that I mean that it probably don't have much dust anyway) but I have never deeply cleaned the PC (well I can't really since I only tried using a straw and a vacuum cleaner). My guess is that I should probably try cleaning the GPU (and possibly other components too) with a compressed air can (if that's the case it would be helpful if you tell me what products are the best).

So currently, I don't have issues by using the PC when GPU isn't at use too much. I also noticed that the issue doesn't really effect FPS as far as I know although I rather don't play games currently....

Thank you!

Solution
Cleaning is a good idea. Should set yourself a reminder to do it annually.

10 series GPUs can make a sound known as coil whine. Under a heavy load, or outputting high FPS, the power delivery section on the card will actually vibrate. At the right frequency this is audible. Not a lot you can do. I recommend leaving it alone since taking the GPU apart right now is risky. Basically no GTX1060 equivalents reasonably priced right now.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador

10 series GPUs can make a sound known as coil whine. Under a heavy load, or outputting high FPS, the power delivery section on the card will actually vibrate. At the right frequency this is audible. Not a lot you can do. I recommend leaving it alone since taking the GPU apart right now is risky. Basically no GTX1060 equivalents reasonably priced right now.

Solution

AWindowsUser

Commendable
Jun 21, 2020

Well, I couldn't hear it before it doesn't bother me too much but I'm just afraid if something goes wrong like the GPU dying because of it or getting less FPS etc....
Can cleaning possibly fix it?
I probably won't take the GPU apart as I don't have much experience with stuff like that

AWindowsUser

Commendable
Jun 21, 2020
Doubtful. If they put some goop on them it has probably come loose over time. If they didn't, you probably just noticed it from careful listening.
Well, I started noticing it now, it definitely wasn't happening before so I'm wondering why it started now out of sudden...
Otherwise, is it hermful? Can something bad happen if I just ignore it and play games as I used to do? Like I don't mind the sound that much (even tho I'd still fix it if possible)

TRENDING THREADS