Question Pc will crash minutes into any game

Nov 17, 2020
I've wanted a decent computer for a while to play stuff like Crusader Kings or BG3 early access and so on, and with microsoft buying bethesda and very few console exclusive not getting a pc release, I thought I'd opt out of a ps5 and finally build one.

I didn't really know what I was doing, my experience with components and parts extends to a few articles and videos, and the guy at the store offered to build it for me for a fee.
Anyway, fast forward, and, games run very smoothly... until my computer just crashes and shuts down.

To take prior examples, the BG3 beta runs on ultra at about 40 fps, then crashes the computer in the first fight, I've also tried greedfall and Dragon age Inquisition and they run at a higher fps, but will just turn off the pc off randomly.

And it is 100% random, sometimes it'll coincide with an ingame explosion, sometimes it'll be panning the camera, sometimes just moving, even zooming into a face in character builder, which doesn't happen when I try it again, then the fans will go at a breakneck pace and the pc will shut down.

I'm running a 1060 6gbs, but the processor is horribly outdated, a i5-2500, that the guy assured would be fine and save money, but even then, it should just lag, right? And DAI is like 7 years old, and Greedfall is only a AA game, the processor should still run it okay?

Other relevant specs, 500 watt psu, which I've read should be fine.

The guy who built it has been spectacularly useless, he told me to run a gpu burner, which didn't crash the pc, and also to take the side off and then measure the heat when a game crashes, even though I've no idea what part is what.

The pc can also idle indeinitly without crashing.

Any insights?

Nov 17, 2020
full system spec? include make and model of the psu

*8 GBs Ram
*LGATX500W from LG
*i5-2500k 3.30 ghz
*Nvidia 1060 6gbs

If it helps, I tried burning both the gpu and cpu at the same time, and the cpu's temprature is constante at 80C for two minutes before it crashes, and when I was checking while playing BG3, CPU heat never crossed 67C before the pc shut down, so I don't think it's that.

Bench marking DAI at ultra crashes the pc as well, but only in full screen mode.