PC will not detect any GPU apart form the integrated one.

ddenpros

Commendable
Sep 26, 2018
So I turned on my pc and suddenly the GPU fans started working at 100% speed. The pc was off for almost 12 hours so it wasn't any high temperature causing this. I checked the screen and there was no signal coming from the GPU but the pc had actually loaded windows and was ready to use.
I switched the cable to the integrated GPU and the display was now showing normally and I went to check if i could switch back to the GPU.To my surprise the GPU wasn't even detected by the pc and wasn't showing anywhere.I turned off the pc and then removed the GPU and put my old one but the old one was doing exactly the same, fan speed 100% and no display.
System specs:

CPU: i5 4440
Motherboard: Gigabyte B85-HD3
Ram: Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 500GB
GPU: MSI GTX 650 ti boost twin frozr iii
PSU: Corsair vs650

Its a bit of an old system but it worked fine untill now (apart from the blue-screens i was having lately when i was playing games with heavy graphics but that should be an HDD problem).Any thoughts?

Solution
But I thought you said

"then removed the GPU and put my old one but the old one was doing exactly the same"

So GPU1 does not work in either PC
GPU2( the old one) does not work in PC1 and does not fit in PC2 (you may have to lay the components on an old motherboard box outside of the case and test like that)

At the moment you cant eliminate any one thing.

ddenpros

Commendable
Sep 26, 2018

But if the psu was the problem why would the fans be working since it wouldn't be able to send enough power?
Although I hope its just the psu and not the motherboard.
[edit:keep in mind that the fans are also working in full speed for some reason]

PistolPaul

Honorable
Feb 15, 2014
Check that the CMOS has not gone screwy and reset it maybe? However, reading around other threads like this one I regret the cause is something that has broken and its not as simple as a checkbox that has become (un)ticked.

ddenpros

Commendable
Sep 26, 2018

I just tested it and it does exactly the same things.The psu i tested it on is 550W.

Also the CMOS battery looks ok and i did reset it but nothing changed.

PistolPaul

Honorable
Feb 15, 2014
So - so far on your PC (call it PC 1) you have had a problem with GPU 1... then you tried GPU 2 with no change.

You also tried GPU 1 in a different machine (PC 2) with a 550W PSU - no change.

Trying again with GPU1/2? with PC1 after a CMOS reset also had no change.

So, neither GPU1 or GPU2 will work in PC1 or PC2? Hmmmm

ddenpros

Commendable
Sep 26, 2018
Well actually I can't put GPU2 in PC2 it just doesn't physically fit in the "tower".But if i find a way and fit it in and the PGU2 works, i guess the problem is the GPU1, right?

PistolPaul

Honorable
Feb 15, 2014
But I thought you said

"then removed the GPU and put my old one but the old one was doing exactly the same"

So GPU1 does not work in either PC
GPU2( the old one) does not work in PC1 and does not fit in PC2 (you may have to lay the components on an old motherboard box outside of the case and test like that)

At the moment you cant eliminate any one thing.

Solution