Jul 31, 2022
I have had my computer for almost 3 years now, and for some reason, it won't shut down fully anymore. I didn't update the bios, I didn't change anything recently, but for some reason, it just doesn't want to fully shut down or sleep. Whenever I put it into sleep or shut down it goes into this state where the CPU fan stays on, the GPU stays on, and the motherboard light stays on and I can't do anything to manipulate it besides force shutting it down.

Please help!

Here are my system specs:

Motherboard - Z390 AORUS PRO WIFI-CF
CPU - Intel i7 - 9700k
GPU - RTX 2070 Super
RAM - GSKILL RAM
OS - Windows 11
PSU - EVGA 750 G5

Last edited:

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
EVGA 750 G5

Poor PSU.
Review: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/evga-supernova-750-g5-power-supply,6344.html

From the review:
There are several signals generated by the power supply, which need to be within specified, by the ATX spec, ranges. If they are not, there can be compatibility issues with other system parts, especially mainboards. From year 2020, the PSU's Power-on time (T1) has to be lower than 150ms and the PWR_OK delay (T3) from 100 to 150ms.

T1 (Power-on time) & T3 (PWR_OK delay)
LoadT1T3
20%60ms294ms
50%68ms294ms

The PWR_OK delay is our of the 100-150ms region, so the PSU does not support the alternative sleep mode, which will be a requirement by the ATX v2.52 from 2020.

What is ASM?

Traditionally, sleep mode (S3) shuts the system off for a long time (minutes or hours) to reduce power consumption. However, this approach adds a few seconds delay when resuming from standby. Microsoft recently introduced Modern Sleep, which brings the instant-on capability to PCs—just like your phone instantly turns on without any noticeable delay. Modern Sleep builds on the Alternative Sleep Mode capability, which Intel has defined. To support ASM, a power supply must wake up from sleep quickly to ensure system stability—think of it as the PSU's boot time.

Replacing PSU with better quality unit, e.g Seasonic Focus or PRIME series, should fix your issue.