Question PC will not turn on.

Jun 23, 2024
After building my PC the problem is that when I either shutdown or leave my PC running it’ll go to sleep after afew hours of nobody touching it. It’ll not turn on again by the power button. The fans and everything is off, the only lights that are on, are the mobo led. I’ve tried afew things like:

Unplugging the 20-5 pin system panel header and back in.

Trying to power it using a conductive screwdriver as seen on video to power pcs without power buttons.

I’ve tried plugging the power supply though a wall plug (context: I use a power extension because my power supply wire is small)

Just built it afew days ago here’s the info of everything:

TUF GAMING B550-PLUS mobo
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
MSI RTX 3060 12GB
1T M.2 SSD 980
Arctic freezer 7 X
CORSAIR CX750 80 PLUS
3000D AIRFLOW CASE

Reactions: PaulC55

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

the only lights that are on, are the mobo led
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...50-PLUS_UM_WEB.pdf?model=TUF GAMING B550-PLUS
Since your motherboard manual states you have debug LED's off to the right hand of the motherboard's PCB, which LED's are lit up?

CORSAIR CX750 80 PLUS
How old is the PSU in your build? As for the unit, Corsair is the brand of the unit, while CX is the series off which it's from, what color is the sticker /label on the unit, green or gray?

As for your PC reviving after physically disconnecting and reconnecting cables, then you might be suffering from a grounding issue. You might want to hook the system up to another wall outlet, one that's grounded. You should also look into sourcing(borrow, not buy) a donor PSU that's reliably built in order to power your system.

Jun 23, 2024
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

the only lights that are on, are the mobo led
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketAM4/TUF_GAMING_B550-PLUS/E16576_TUF_GAMING_B550-PLUS_UM_WEB.pdf?model=TUF GAMING B550-PLUS
Since your motherboard manual states you have debug LED's off to the right hand of the motherboard's PCB, which LED's are lit up?

CORSAIR CX750 80 PLUS
How old is the PSU in your build? As for the unit, Corsair is the brand of the unit, while CX is the series off which it's from, what color is the sticker /label on the unit, green or gray?

As for your PC reviving after physically disconnecting and reconnecting cables, then you might be suffering from a grounding issue. You might want to hook the system up to another wall outlet, one that's grounded. You should also look into sourcing(borrow, not buy) a donor PSU that's reliably built in order to power your system.
The Led from the mobo are RGB not the debug ones.

The psu is new bought 4 days ago, for the sticker/label there is no sticker/ label on the psu that are green/grey

I also do not own a second psu to test or try with.

Jan 14, 2024
After building my PC the problem is that when I either shutdown or leave my PC running it’ll go to sleep after afew hours of nobody touching it. It’ll not turn on again by the power button. The fans and everything is off, the only lights that are on, are the mobo led. I’ve tried afew things like:

Unplugging the 20-5 pin system panel header and back in.

Trying to power it using a conductive screwdriver as seen on video to power pcs without power buttons.

I’ve tried plugging the power supply though a wall plug (context: I use a power extension because my power supply wire is small)

Just built it afew days ago here’s the info of everything:

TUF GAMING B550-PLUS mobo
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
MSI RTX 3060 12GB
1T M.2 SSD 980
Arctic freezer 7 X
CORSAIR CX750 80 PLUS
3000D AIRFLOW CASE
Since you have Corsair case and PSU, do you have Corsair RAM as well?

Ryzen and supporting boards are funny about RAM and they often don't play well with Corsair RAM. Corsair or not, check the RAM compatibility list for your board and see if your specific RAM SKU is listed. If not, it's likely the problem. I had to learn this the hard way across three systems. And even the two that had debug LEDs never showed a RAM error. It's more of a stability issue.

You also shouldn't be unplugging and replugging anything with it still powered up. NEVER do that. That's a good way to fry the motherboard.

Reactions: Joshh1245
Jun 23, 2024
Since you have Corsair case and PSU, do you have Corsair RAM as well?

Ryzen and supporting boards are funny about RAM and they often don't play well with Corsair RAM. Corsair or not, check the RAM compatibility list for your board and see if your specific RAM SKU is listed. If not, it's likely the problem. I had to learn this the hard way across three systems. And even the two that had debug LEDs never showed a RAM error. It's more of a stability issue.

You also shouldn't be unplugging and replugging anything with it still powered up. NEVER do that. That's a good way to fry the motherboard.
The pc has turn on before this all happened. Everything was fine I could turn it off and on but for the first 2 days of having the pc it now has this problem. The last time this happened it automatically came back on all I did was leave it powered then after 20 minutes it comes on but It will no longer turn on.

The RAM is Corsair is a vengeance 2x16

Jun 23, 2024
Just for more context here’s 2 pictures.

One shows the rgb on the mobo working and the second picture is of the pins for the button to turn the pc on.

First top pin: led+
Second top pin: led -
Third top&bottom: power SW
Forth top&bottom: reset SW

I have also swapped theses around and still nothing.

First and second pins are the same: LED +\-
Third&forth top pins: Power SW
Third&forth bottom pins: Reset SW

I’ve tried every way.

Jun 23, 2024
The PC has now started up and is working but again this will happen again in like 2-3 days and Ill end up waiting another 6-7 hours of having the PC powered just not able to turn on. If you have any ideas why please suggest them. I can do discord calls if needed I don't mind showing video (Discord: Joshh1245) Thanks for all the other suggestions and also thank you for the welcome to this forum <3

Jun 2, 2024
The PC has now started up and is working but again this will happen again in like 2-3 days and Ill end up waiting another 6-7 hours of having the PC powered just not able to turn on. If you have any ideas why please suggest them. I can do discord calls if needed I don't mind showing video (Discord: Joshh1245) Thanks for all the other suggestions and also thank you for the welcome to this forum <3
check the power sockets and power supply

Jan 14, 2024
The pc has turn on before this all happened. Everything was fine I could turn it off and on but for the first 2 days of having the pc it now has this problem. The last time this happened it automatically came back on all I did was leave it powered then after 20 minutes it comes on but It will no longer turn on.

The RAM is Corsair is a vengeance 2x16

Whats wrong with the CX i have?

it is a cheap power supply and regardless of whether it is new there is a high possibility that it has a problem.With the rest you have, even if you connect the cables correctly to the motherboard, it is not allowed that your computer does not start.

@triplex1 is on to something here. It IS starting to sound like a bad capacitor in the power supply discharging when it's not running. These are critical to startup loads, and if they're malfunctioning, you get situations where it will not consistently fire up. Cheaper components, particuarly power supplies, tend to have quality issues, unfortunately. I have a CX650F myself that I haven't had problems with, but at the same time, that PSU has very little use on it. My 5900X has an RM850x.

That said, I misread your post to understand that this was only occurring when it was going into sleep mode, which WOULD point to a memory issue. But are you sure it's not turning on, and maybe just not displaying video? My 5900X refused to wake from sleep as well, with no-video POSTs every 8-10 cold starts, due to memory issues. Drove me nuts for months until someone suggested a memory training issue, at which point I found that my RAM kit was not listed for that board and processor.

THAT said, even if the PSU is flaky, you could still have issues with both components. So, you really should check your RAM's SKU (as in part number, not just the brand / series / configuration) against the manufacturer's compatibility list for that board.

It's just not as cut-and-dried as 2x16 Corsair Vengeance, unfortunately. For instance, there might be a dozen different part numbers for Vengeance 2x16 kits, and not all them will work well on this board or that board, or with this processor or that processor. Which is why there are so many different part numbers in a series.

Different portions of these part numbers will refer to latency, speed, and other differences. Here is a screenshot showing examples of this... (2x16 Corsair with 5000-series CPU, as you've mentioned, but I can't get any more specific than that.

So it really is necessary to check the actual part number against Asus' guaranteed compatibility list for this board. Especially with Ryzen, and be sure to note which series. Keep in mind, a manufacturer can't possibly test ALL RAM kits, so while absence from the list does not guarantee incompatibility, chances are if it's not listed, it's either not tested, or had problems. The only way to know for sure, is if it IS on the list.

I've seen problems with this across three of my own systems, in fact. A 1700, the 5900X, and a 3600X test bed built to test the 5900X build's other components on a different board.

5000-series APU / 5000-series CPU are, in fact different, and may, in fact, have differences in which RAM kits are guaranteed to be compatible. To simplify, Ryzens with model #s ending in G are APU. Those without are CPUs, which may or may not come in X variants, that lend themselves more easily to Ryzen Master and manual overclocking.

Additionally, it so happens I have this exact board (which, as noted, gave me fits with memory instability for several months before I figured it out), and to be frank, I'm not impressed at this point. I bought it in 2022, it's been in twice for RMA, was replaced in March, and the replacement is already dead. It's still under warranty, but when the replacement arrives this time, I'm selling it and won't be buying Asus components in the future.

Asus customer service is terrible in my experience. I don't think anyone in that department actually knows what they're doing, and GamersNexus has called them out big-time on their AM5 offerings for tricking people into voiding their warranty for necessary BIOS updates to address issues that THEY created.

While it was going, however, I can say that Ryzen Master was able to get 5.0 to 5.025 out of my 5900X on both the original and replacement (a refurb). But that doesn't matter much when it's been in and out of my machine at least 8 times trying to troubleshoot issues.

By contrast, my 5900X can still manage low to high 4.9s on the Gigabyte B550 Aorus Master it currently runs on, a fairly minor difference in the grand scheme of things, as it seems to hum along at 3600-4800 most of the time. But I digress. Hopefully, you'll have better luck with yours. Just something to be aware of.

To clarify, what @triplex1 and I are saying is not so much in the spirit of dumping on your build, as to not be surprised if there are issues, as certain cheaper component series are known to have issues from time to time.

EDIT: Also, let me know if you do have issues with parts that are not under warranty or can't afford retail for replacements. I myself am on a fixed income from disability, so I know what it's like. I just consolidated my 5900X build into a cabinet, and have a few decent parts sitting around (including a RAM kit bought for the Asus Tuf B550-plus board) that I'm willing to part with for cheap if they would help you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Joshh1245