[SOLVED] PC with apparently cool temps stuttering on high loads

Jun 26, 2022
Hello Tomshardware forum! First of all, I'm sorry for any writing mistakes, as english isn't my main language, but I've tried everywhere else (both on my native language and english) and haven't found a solution to my problem yet... :(

What is the problem? Sometimes, my PC starts freezing for a few seconds. My image freezes, I cannot hear sounds nor use the keyboard. Video example here. It doesn't have audio because my friends were talking. Sorry for the bad quality, I had to erase my name using an online video editor so thats why its so pixelated.

When does this happen? This happens after being 20+ minutes on games that demand more from the PC, like Warzone, R6 (on high settings) and Minecraft with shaders.

When did it start? My PC is new, this started right when I started playing these games. About the warranty, I got all the components from different stores, so if I want to use the warranty I have to find what piece is being problematic first.

PC Specs?
CPU: Intel Core i7-12700F 2.1 GHz 12-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition 42 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B660-A GAMING WIFI D4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard
Memory: Kingston Fury Renegade RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
Windows' Storage: HP S700 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital Green SN350 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Storage: Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: Asus GeForce RTX 3060 12 GB TUF GAMING OC Video Card
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox TD500 Mesh White w/ Controller ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2021) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Case Exhaust Fan: CoolerMaster MASTERFAN SF120M
Also: When it comes to fans, I have 3 intake fans on the front (the ones that come with the case) and the MasterFan as the rear exhaust fan, the airflow looks like this.

Fixes that I have tried to do:
  • Completely reinstalling Windows and every driver;
  • Updating all the drivers and updating BIOS;
  • Changing RAM slots;
  • Changing thermal paste and getting a CPU Cooler (as listed above on specs) instead of the stock one, but I'm still having the same problems with both coolers;
  • Running a MemTest scan, where I got 0 errors;
  • Getting a faster SSD (The WD one);
  • Making the fans always run at 100% (This makes the freezing happen less often, but it still happens);
  • Rearrange all the cables inside the case to make sure they aren't bent or broken;
  • Removing dust from the PC;
  • Installing GPU Drivers without GeForce Experience;
  • Getting a HWINFO64 and making the problem occur to search for abnormalities, but nothing sees out of the ordinary for me, its here if you want to look at it (The stuttering ocurred around the last 5 minutes of the log): HWINFO LOG. Maybe the 100% Read and Write Activity (Colums ME and MF) on the HP SSD 500GB (where my windows is)? But I'm kinda of a newbie on this so I'm not sure if that is causing the problem or just another symptom.
Thank you!
Sorry for the long post... I would like to thank in advance to anyone that reads this and tries to help, it's my first gaming PC so I was very anxious to finally be able to play the games that I dreamed of being able to run and having this problem is very frustrating, so I'm very grateful for all the help. If you need more details, please say and I will provide them!

Solution
  • Getting a HWINFO64 and making the problem occur to search for abnormalities, but nothing sees out of the ordinary for me, its here if you want to look at it (The stuttering ocurred around the last 5 minutes of the log): HWINFO LOG. Maybe the 100% Read and Write Activity (Colums ME and MF) on the HP SSD 500GB
You have alot of ram usage, you're @

15228​
969​
probably why you see so much activity on that ssd as well, means that the page file wil be used alot. Up to you to see what uses so much ram, can look at taskmanager. Might want to shut down what you don't use when gaming.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
  • Getting a HWINFO64 and making the problem occur to search for abnormalities, but nothing sees out of the ordinary for me, its here if you want to look at it (The stuttering ocurred around the last 5 minutes of the log): HWINFO LOG. Maybe the 100% Read and Write Activity (Colums ME and MF) on the HP SSD 500GB

15228​
969​
probably why you see so much activity on that ssd as well, means that the page file wil be used alot. Up to you to see what uses so much ram, can look at taskmanager. Might want to shut down what you don't use when gaming.

Reactions: Futebolista98
Solution
Jun 26, 2022

15228​
969​
First of all, thanks for answering my post!

Warzone + Discord alone uses 80% of my RAM (around 12.5GB), for the HWINFO log I was also streaming with OBS. Is that expected to use less than 15GB? Genuine question, as I said I'm fairly new to PC gaming so I don't know the numbers very well.