[SOLVED] PC with new graphics card won’t turn on

Feb 24, 2020
I decided to upgrade all of my pc and it’s been running perfectly fine up until now. I installed a new motherboard, CPU, RAM, CPU cooler and PSU with the old SSD, GPU and case and that worked out perfectly well. However today I received the new GPU and I just can’t seem to get the pc to boot up. Basically what happens is that whenever I plug in the PSU and turn it on, the motherboard flashes for a second and then turns off again. I tried checking if the GPU wasn’t plugged in all the way and the same with the PCIe cables (they were both all the way in). It’s 2x8pin PCIe on the GPU so after using both from the same PSU cable I tried using 2 different cables and that didn’t work either. I’m a little worried the power supply is too weak, however numerous websites as well as these forums say it’s enough. I hope someone has a trick up their sleeves.

My full setup:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gycQqp
If the gpu doesn’t appear this is the one:
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Nh...3070-8-gb-dual-oc-video-card-dual-rtx3070-o8g

I can’t turn it on with the old one anymore either, it does the same thing

Solution
I’ll try to plug in my old PSU and see if it makes a difference. I’m still wondering how something could have fried on the mobo (if that’s the case), personally I can’t see anything wrong with my procedure of installing the new GPU.

I've managed to knock caps off of boards swapping out parts. Could be something like that?
Feb 24, 2020
Inno3D 1060 3gb is the old GPU that I used up until today.

The cables say nothing else than 34-0 and underneath they say 00371 (same for both) and they say PCIe on the front where the GPU plugs in.

I’m 10000% sure they’re from the new PSU, I got it a week ago and the cables from my previous PSU is stuck on it whereas these can be plugged in and out of the PSU. HOWEVER I didn’t actually change the cable that runs from the PSU to the power socket in my wall, I assumed that wasn’t necessary as they were the same fit.

I want to point this out as well, the fans never came on either, it was literally a quick flash on the motherboard and then it shut down almost like the power went. It all happened after I plugged in the new GPU.

Feb 24, 2020
What GPU did you have in there before?

What do the PCIe cables say on them on the side that plugs into the PSU?

Are you SURE these are the cables that came with the PSU?

The cables say nothing else than 34-0 and underneath they say 00371 (same for both) and they say PCIe on the front where the GPU plugs in.

I’m 10000% sure they’re from the new PSU, I got it a week ago and the cables from my previous PSU is stuck on it whereas these can be plugged in and out of the PSU. HOWEVER I didn’t actually change the cable that runs from the PSU to the power socket in my wall, I assumed that wasn’t necessary as they were the same fit.

I want to point this out as well, the fans never came on either, it was literally a quick flash on the motherboard and then it shut down almost like the power went. It all happened after I plugged in the new GPU.

Ok. Then those are the correct cables.

HOWEVER I didn’t actually change the cable that runs from the PSU to the power socket in my wall, I assumed that wasn’t necessary as they were the same fit.

Shouldn't matter.

"Quick flash on the motherboard" does make me think that something wasn't plugged in correctly. Sounds like your motherboard is toast.

Feb 24, 2020
Ok. Then those are the correct cables.

Shouldn't matter.

"Quick flash on the motherboard" does make me think that something wasn't plugged in correctly. Sounds like your motherboard is toast.
Well I can tell you exactly what I did and maybe you’ll be able to tell me if I did something wrong within the process. I unplugged the PCIe from my old GPU, unscrewed it and released it from the motherboard, then I grabbed the new GPU, plugged it into the motherboard, screwed it in and used a single PCIe cable to plug into the 2x8 pin on the GPU. So basically the one cable had 2x 8-pin PCIe connectors and I connected both of those into the GPU rather than having 2 separate cables running from the PSU to the GPU. However no other cables were touched (within the pc, I obviously unplugged everything on the outside).
I tried turning on the power a couple of times because I tried different fixes and the motherboard was flashing every time, if it was actually toast it shouldn’t flash anymore after the first time right?

dimtodim

Reputable
I decided to upgrade all of my pc and it’s been running perfectly fine up until now. I installed a new motherboard, CPU, RAM, CPU cooler and PSU with the old SSD, GPU and case and that worked out perfectly well. However today I received the new GPU and I just can’t seem to get the pc to boot up. Basically what happens is that whenever I plug in the PSU and turn it on, the motherboard flashes for a second and then turns off again. I tried checking if the GPU wasn’t plugged in all the way and the same with the PCIe cables (they were both all the way in). It’s 2x8pin PCIe on the GPU so after using both from the same PSU cable I tried using 2 different cables and that didn’t work either. I’m a little worried the power supply is too weak, however numerous websites as well as these forums say it’s enough. I hope someone has a trick up their sleeves.

My full setup:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gycQqp
If the gpu doesn’t appear this is the one:
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Nh...3070-8-gb-dual-oc-video-card-dual-rtx3070-o8g

I can’t turn it on with the old one anymore either, it does the same thing
psu is week for new gpu, check psu maybe dont work after try with new build

psu is week for new gpu, check psu maybe dont work after try with new build

That wouldn't prevent it from posting and the PC no longer works with the 1060. Please try to pay attention.

How do I check if it’s the PSU specifically that’s not working? I know as much as it does the same thing now when I put the old GPU in there

Ignore him. He's not reading everything.

Unplug the PSU from the PC and test with just a paper clip: https://help.corsair.com/hc/en-us/articles/360025085372-How-to-Test-a-power-supply-unit

Also, you say there's a "flash". I thought you meant like a spark. So there's an LED on the board that's flashing on and then immediately off?

Feb 24, 2020
That wouldn't prevent it from posting and the PC no longer works with the 1060. Please try to pay attention.

Unplug the PSU from the PC and test with just a paper clip: https://help.corsair.com/hc/en-us/articles/360025085372-How-to-Test-a-power-supply-unit

Also, you say there's a "flash". I thought you meant like a spark. So there's an LED on the board that's flashing on and then immediately off?
Alright I’ll try the paper clip thing tomorrow after work, it’s 1am here at the moment so I better get some sleep.

oh no, by flash I meant what seems to be several LED’s quickly flashing on with a blue color all at once(don’t know if the color matters but the motherboard is normally orange) and then turn off a split second after. I’m honestly unable to tell you which LED’s do turn on and which don’t as it happens so fast but it looks like most of the board lights up apart from the logos and the sort of troubleshooting LED’s on it don’t show anything either nor do they flash with the rest of it.

Feb 24, 2020

I’ve just done the PSU test that you linked to me and the fan does indeed start spinning when I turn it on.

Also I answered your question about the flash in another reply but just in case you’ve missed it I’ll copy paste it here as well:
oh no, by flash I meant what seems to be several LED’s quickly flashing on with a blue color all at once(don’t know if the color matters but the motherboard is normally orange) and then turn off a split second after. I’m honestly unable to tell you which LED’s do turn on and which don’t as it happens so fast but it looks like most of the board lights up apart from the logos and the sort of troubleshooting LED’s on it don’t show anything either nor do they flash with the rest of it.

Feb 24, 2020
Strip the build down to just the motherboard, CPU, CPU cooler and PSU. No RAM, GPU, etc. And see if you can get it to power up.
Okay I unplugged the GPU and RAM, I’m not sure if you wanted me to literally unplug everything else including SSD, all the case headers and case fans but it does exactly the same thing when RAM and and GPU is unplugged as the only things.

Feb 24, 2020
Yes. LITERALLY unplug EVERYTHING. Only have the PSU, mobo, CPU and CPU cooler.
Right my bad on the first attempt, I now tried again with everything unplugged apart from the CPU cable, 24 pin cable and rad fans and it still does the same thing, and just for good measure I tried again afterwards with the rad fans unplugged as well as they’re technically not connected to the cpu cooler and it was, once again, the same result.

Feb 24, 2020
Yeesh.

Yeah..... But the PSU works with the paper clip.

I mean... it could still be the PSU, but it really is starting to sound like something fried on the motherboard.
I’ll try to plug in my old PSU and see if it makes a difference. I’m still wondering how something could have fried on the mobo (if that’s the case), personally I can’t see anything wrong with my procedure of installing the new GPU.

Feb 24, 2020
I've managed to knock caps off of boards swapping out parts. Could be something like that?
Well the old PSU doesn’t work either so at this point I’m gonna have to assume it’s the mobo. Quite frankly I feel like I was as careful as I could be, but I suppose it’s never impossible to break it in some sort of way. Now is it “only” the mobo I have to worry about or could it potentially have broken more of my parts because they were connected?