[SOLVED] PC with RTX 3070 underperforming

May 1, 2021
SPECS
RTX 3070
RYZEN 5 3600
8x2 3200mhz Corsair Vengeance Pro RAM (XMP is turned on)
Corsair RM750X PSU

I run all games in 1080p and all the temps are fine when I game.

Hey guys. My pc is underperforming in games like Rust and gta, I run like 60-90 fps in both games but when I see benchmarks on youtube with the same specs, they run much higher. I have no idea why.

Thanks in advance!

Solution
GPU runs a bit slower than average, but then again, it's most likely the CPU bottleneck causing that low perfomance.
As i said earlier, your average FPS in GTA V seems to not be too far off what you describe, 60-90fps that's pretty much in line with most systems with your config, running at that resolution. There is nothing wrong with the system itself.

Get yourself a 1440p screen, and you'll see an instant improvement, or cross your fingers and pray that Nvidia will improve their drivers.

Jaegeren

Honorable
Jan 7, 2015
I think it might be caused by the Nvidia drivers, the ampere architecture doesn't have a problem with scaling at lower resolution itself, but there is an ongoing issue with overheading at lower resolution. The Nvidia drivers need more CPU cycles to function, so the CPU relatively quickly becomes the primary system bottleneck. Especially with more CPU intensive programs and games.

A quick fix is going from 1080p to 1440p, that way you're offloading more work to the GPU.

Last edited:
May 1, 2021
I think it might be caused by the Nvidia drivers, the ampere architecture doesn't have a problem with scaling at lower resolution itself, but there is an ongoing issue with overheading at lower resolution. The Nvidia drivers need more CPU cycles to function, so the CPU relatively quickly becomes the primary system bottleneck. Especially with more CPU intensive programs and games.

A quick fix is going from 1080p to 1440p, that way you're offloading more work to the GPU.
I have heard about this, but like wouldt it also fix it if I got a better cpu for example?

Jaegeren

Honorable
Jan 7, 2015
wouldt it also fix it if I got a better cpu for example?

Yeah, a better cpu would have more headroom, a Ryzen 5600x or equivalent should be enough to completely eliminate any bottleneck, even at that resolution.
But at that point, you might as well go 1440p anyway. It would completely overkill for 1080p.

May 1, 2021
Yeah, a better cpu would have more headroom, a Ryzen 5600x or equivalent should be enough to completely eliminate any bottleneck, even at that resolution.
But at that point, you might as well go 1440p anyway. It would completely overkill for 1080p.
Yeah okay, but its just weird, that all the benchmarks I have seen with the same specs run higher fps on 1080p

Jaegeren

Honorable
Jan 7, 2015
Well, unless you have the EXACTLY same system as the benchmarked PC down to the exact same SSD, then benchmarks can rarely be translated to your own.
Benchmarked PC might have different ram configs, won the silicon lottery. Or other variables that can affect perfomance.
There is other with similiar problem like you in GTA V as well, with the same config.

As i said earlier, best bet is to upgrade your resolution.
Else a temporary solution could be to turn up MSAA and AA in the games affected. It adds more workload to your GPU, could help on the bottleneck.

From what i can find 60-90 fps on average with your config is in line with that resolution in GTA V.

Last edited:

Jaegeren

Honorable
Jan 7, 2015
Only concern for me is the temp, 79,3 is rather high, though it depends on what cooler you're using. Did you run a benchmark just before you took that screenshot? because the validator is not a benchmark.
What's your cooling solution/ fan setup? ambient temperature?
Are those idle temps?

Jaegeren

Honorable
Jan 7, 2015
GPU runs a bit slower than average, but then again, it's most likely the CPU bottleneck causing that low perfomance.
As i said earlier, your average FPS in GTA V seems to not be too far off what you describe, 60-90fps that's pretty much in line with most systems with your config, running at that resolution. There is nothing wrong with the system itself.

Get yourself a 1440p screen, and you'll see an instant improvement, or cross your fingers and pray that Nvidia will improve their drivers.

Solution
May 1, 2021

Get yourself a 1440p screen, and you'll see an instant improvement, or cross your fingers and hop Nvidia will improve their drivers.
Okay, thanks! Im think im going for the ASUS TUF VG27AQ, a very nice IPS 165hz 1440p panel.

Reactions: Jaegeren
May 1, 2021

So what you basically are saying. Is that you can be lucky or unlucky with the performance of the rtx 3070 and r5 3600 combo. Because like I said before when I watched benchmarks with gta V for example, they run like 30-50 fps higher than me with the same specs ofcourse.

Jaegeren

Honorable
Jan 7, 2015
Well yes and no. As i've said, unless you have a PC exactly like the one you saw benchmarking on is 100% identical to yours. Then there can be many small tweaks done that increases his performance.

He could have better cooling, i mentioned your earlier 79 degrees CPU temp was high if you're idling, you never answered what you were doing. Or what your cooling solution is.

His ram could have lower CL rating, etc CL14 instead of CL16

He could run his games on his SSD instead of HDD

His GPU could be overclocked, you seem to have the Founders edition, which is a bit slower than 3rd party oc ones. However you can easily OC the card to those levels if you have good cooling.

And as i've said. None of the RTX cards are really good 1080p due to the bottleneck.

View: https://youtube.com/watch?v=HxkoxTDcA8s&t=26s

This one seems to be around the same perfomance as you describe.

Last edited:
May 1, 2021
Well yes and no. As i've said, unless you have a PC exactly like the one you saw benchmarking on is 100% identical to yours. Then there can be many small tweaks done that increases his performance.

He could have better cooling, i mentioned your earlier 79 degrees CPU temp was high if you're idling, you never answered what you were doing.

His GPU could be overclocked, you seem to have the Founders edition, which is a bit slower than 3rd party oc ones. However you can easily OC the card to those levels if you have good cooling.
Ahh okay, do you know a website where I can see like the best overclocking settings for my card? Cuz I dont wanna risk anything.

And for the temps, im just on google and nothing else open basically, then its on like 60-65, but when I for example open a new tap and search a website and press enter, the temp will spike up to like 75 and then down again. Maybe its normal but yeah.

He could have better cooling, i mentioned your earlier 79 degrees CPU temp was high if you're idling, you never answered what you were doing. Or what your cooling solution is.

He could run his games on his SSD instead of HDD

And as i've said. None of the RTX cards are really good 1080p due to the bottleneck.
Check the userbenchmark score for his gpu, there may be something going on there...

Ahh okay, do you know a website where I can see like the best overclocking settings for my card? Cuz I dont wanna risk anything.

And for the temps, im just on google and nothing else open basically, then its on like 60-65, but when I for example open a new tap and search a website and press enter, the temp will spike up to like 75 and then down again. Maybe its normal but yeah.
That is very common if you are using the stock cooler for the 3600.