PC Won’t Boot

vegapunk

Prominent
Dec 17, 2017
Hello guys!

I built this pc around 8 months ago with the help of kind people from this forum.

So far it’s been running without any problems. However today when I came back home I just couldn’t turn it on.

When I press the power button, the fans and lights work for an instant and with a click all goes off.

I was suspecting the RAM so first of all I tried single RAM in every slot each, I checked for and damage or loose screw, cable connection and nothing. Then I tried clearing CMOS with the jumper and it still didn’t work. I removed pretty much everything except for the CPU and the SSD but still nothing. As a last resort I removed the CMOS battery and IT WORKED! I went to grab a beer to celebrate and came back in a minute but the damned thing was off again.

After that I tried everything again and again but nothing, even removing the battery does nothing anymore.

I’m really really frustrated at the moment. I don’t wanna bring my PC to repair because I live in Japan and I don’t speak the language...

I tweaked RAM speed and overclocked the CPU before but changed everything back to normal long before this problem occured.

I really really appreciate the help! Please guys I really need you :(

My specs :

CPU : Ryzen 1600
GPU : MSI Mini ITX Aero GTX 1060 6 GB OC
RAM : HyperX Predator 2x4GB 3200
(Runs at 2133 IIRC or whatever the default is)
MoBo : AsRock AB350M Pro4
PSU : Cyonic AU 550X

vegapunk

Prominent
Dec 17, 2017
@guanyu210379

What I just realized now is that devices connected with USB actually has power. That makes me think that PSU might be fine. Well or it just have enough power to do that?

I really really hope it’s not the mobo. Anyone have experienced such thing? I hope there are some things I could try before getting a new piece of hardware or at least make sure which part is the cause.

vegapunk

Prominent
Dec 17, 2017

Yes, there is a warranty and I’m planning to return it tomorrow unless someone could give me some more ideas about a fix here.

Jul 27, 2018
Disconnect the AC power cable and press several times on the power bottun.
Plug in back the AC power cable and turn on the pc.

To clear the cmos you need to disconnect the AC power cable, wait 15 sec, use the jumper and for 5 sec.
Return the jumper back, remove the cmos battery for 10 sec and return back the battery and the AC power.
Try to power up the PC.
change the

vegapunk

Prominent
Dec 17, 2017

Thank you but as I said, I’ve already tried those.

vegapunk

Prominent
Dec 17, 2017
Hello again guys!

I bought a new PSU(rm650x) and the problem is still not solved. However this time I could find the exact problem. If I disconnect the CPU 8 pins, it runs. Fans and everything but If I connect it, same problem again, fans and lights turn on for a second and stop.

At this point, I’m sure the cause is MB but before I get a new MB I just wanted to ask you guys. If new MB won’t solve it either, I guess the CPU is next. Somehow I’ll end up building my 2nd PC lol.

Btw there are tons of threads about this particular problem but there is absolutely no feedback about a solution.

I’m waiting for help! Pretty please

Jul 27, 2018
Disconnect every thinks from the motherboard and connect only the cpu, ram, gpu (if you don’t have build-in gpu), keyboard and mouse.
Jumper the pw switch pins and check if it it works.

vegapunk

Prominent
Dec 17, 2017

I have tried that. Also removing battery, shortcut with screwdriver etc.

Jul 27, 2018
Last thing to check, disconnect the motherboard from the case and check if it works.
If it is working, then the case is shortening the motherboard.
If it isn’t working, then there is a promblem with the motherboard and you need to replace it. (Or wait for another solution).

vegapunk

Prominent
Dec 17, 2017

Hey, sorry it's a bit late but the problem was the motherboard. It just became an excuse to build a new rig for me so it's all good haha