[SOLVED] PC Won’t display with ryzen 5950x

Dec 25, 2021
Hi, i’d appreciate any assistance with this.

I just got a Ryzen 5950x today,
and whenever i put it into my motherboard my GPU (GTX 970) starts twitching on boot up & gives me a no display connected message on my monitor.

I’ve tried a few troubleshooting measures so far. i originally thought it could be an issue with my GPU or motherboard, but i can confirm it’s not because when i put my old CPU (Ryzen 1700x) in, the PC boots fine & the GPU fans spin like normal.. it was also working fine beforehand.

I have also considered it might be a power supply issue, but i have checked and my power supply states it is a 750W.

If anybody could help i would be extremely grateful, i’m afraid my processor might have been a dud.

Thanks.

Solution

and whenever i put it into my motherboard my GPU (GTX 970) starts twitching on boot up & gives me a no display connected message on my monitor.

I’ve tried a few troubleshooting measures so far. i originally thought it could be an issue with my GPU or motherboard, but i can confirm it’s not because when i put my old CPU (Ryzen 1700x) in, the PC boots fine & the GPU fans spin like normal.. it was also working fine beforehand.

I have also considered it might be a power supply issue, but i have checked and my power supply states it is a 750W.

If anybody could help i would be extremely grateful, i’m afraid my processor might have been a dud.

Thanks.

kanewolf

Titan

Thanks.
What motherboard do you have? Did you verify BIOS compatibility / update BEFORE swapping CPUs ? What exact make and model power supply? It might SAY 750W but not be able to deliver anywhere near that wattage.

Reactions: jonkplap72
Solution
Dec 25, 2021
What motherboard do you have? Did you verify BIOS compatibility / update BEFORE swapping CPUs ? What exact make and model power supply? It might SAY 750W but not be able to deliver anywhere near that wattage.

Yes this was my thought as some mobos need updating to comply with newer hardware.

Dec 25, 2021

Thank you so much for your help, I hadn't updated my BIOS.

For anyone reading this in the future who is having this problem, I have a gigabyte B450M DS3H.
I was on F3 from 2018, so I had to update to F32 then to F40 then to the latest F62d.

Merry Christmas to you all.

For anyone reading this in the future who is having this problem, I have a gigabyte B450M DS3H.
I was on F3 from 2018, so I had to update to F32 then to F40 then to the latest F62d.

every Bios update overwrites the ROM newest is the only thing you need to do because it includes all updates from previous that are needed.

wooo.... great to hear you got it working.....but seriously, good luck with the 5950X. That's probably the lowest spec motherboard I've seen anyone trying to run one on. Would be interested in your results if you would post experiences once set up and operating.

kanewolf

Titan
every Bios update overwrites the ROM newest is the only thing you need to do because it includes all updates from previous that are needed.
Maybe, maybe not. Some updates have specific minimum version to upgrade from. ALWAYS read and follow notes on the manufacturer's webpage. There could be specific motherboard driver versions that are listed as dependencies.

Dec 25, 2021
Yep, it should work like that just with gigabyte & this specific motherboard model it shipped with such an old BIOS that it wouldn’t install the latest version without the intermediary ones. It would simply give me an error message. I was just including that to help anyone else reading the forum who may encounter a similar problem.

Dec 25, 2021
wooo.... great to hear you got it working.....but seriously, good luck with the 5950X. That's probably the lowest spec motherboard I've seen anyone trying to run one on. Would be interested in your results if you would post experiences once set up and operating.

Thank you!😄 So far i’ve run it through cinebench & it got around 18300. Haven’t overclocked it yet. I may consider getting a new board before that. It’s running fine at normal temps. i’m using my old wraith heatsink from the 1700. Works like a charm, temps are around 36 idle. I do a lot of music production work in Ableton and so far i’ve opened a few of my old 100 layer projects that i would’ve had to bounce down because 1700 was crashing, and it’s working fantastically - in fact, not even close to maxing out all the cores!

I’ll keep updating as i encounter more along the way.

Thank you!😄 So far i’ve run it through cinebench & it got around 18300. Haven’t overclocked it yet...

Seriously...don't overclock it, at least not in the conventional sense. That's not just because of your motherboard but because Ryzen 5000 CPU's don't need it. Instead use PBO with curve optimizer to find an effective per-core undervolt. That's really going to be better for your board since it doesn't rely on holding an ultra steady low voltages under heavy load.

But then, you won't get much from it if using the Wraith Spire cooler that came with 1700's. They're so darn temperature sensitive they obligingly refuse to boost very much, and so keep temperature in check, when not well cooled.

But the thing I'd be interested in is how the VRM is holding up...especially during a Cinebench run; specifically VRM temperature? You can usually find it in HWInfo64 and MSI is pretty good about exposing VRM temperatures to monitoring.

Last edited:
Yep, it should work like that just with gigabyte & this specific motherboard model it shipped with such an old BIOS that it wouldn’t install the latest version without the intermediary ones. It would simply give me an error message. I was just including that to help anyone else reading the forum who may encounter a similar problem.
Figures I gave up on Gigabyte in AM2+ years and will never buy any of their motherboards after my experience with them.