Aug 22, 2019
Hi guys new here.

Had my PC about 6 years or so now and turned it on yesterday, it blue screened and sprang into the automatic repair mode but failed. I started it up again and it booted into windows but very slowly (took about a minute to login) and the CPU temps were above 100C. I shut it down, figured it was probably the water pump failing and figured I would sort it in the morning.

Today I tried to turn it on again with a very basic system setup (stock cooler, 1 ram, no hdd) but it would not post. I tried clearing the CMOS and it DID manage to post twice but only after resetting the CMOS each time. Now it will not post at all.

I have tried swapping power supplies but no luck. All the fans spin so I am left wondering whether it is the motherboard or CPU at fault.

Any help would be much appreciated before I look for new parts.

CPU: Intel i7 3770k
RAM: 4x4GB Corsair vengeance
GPU: NVIDIA GTX1060 6GB
Motherboard: MSI Z77A-GD55 (LGA 1155)
PSU: Corsair CX650

Solution
For a 6 year old MB, I bet that one or several of the capacitors on the motherboard are failing.

If the images from a google search on your MB model are correct, the capacitors are surface mounted - i.e. is a living h*ll doing solder work on.

Anyway, try to spot one that seems being ripped from the bottom, somehow.
For a 6 year old MB, I bet that one or several of the capacitors on the motherboard are failing.

If the images from a google search on your MB model are correct, the capacitors are surface mounted - i.e. is a living h*ll doing solder work on.

Anyway, try to spot one that seems being ripped from the bottom, somehow.

Solution