Question PC won`t start after replacing CPU cooler

Oct 6, 2020
Hi everyone, this is my first post here so sorry if i´m not in the right cathegory or something.

I was talkin to my friend yesterday. He bought a new cpu cooler to replace his amd stock one (ryzen 3600). I helped him change it and re apply thermal paste via FaceTime. After the instalation, his pc wouldnt turn on. I remark that it doesn´t even try to boot. No fans spin or no lights turn on. The only unussual thing that went on was that when he took out the amd stock cooler, the cpu came out with it as it happens some times (it has happened to me before) but no pins were messed up and no thermal paste was spilled on the pins or socket.

We thought it could be that he didn´t put enough pressure on the screws of the new cooler so he tried the old one again and nothing happened. He already tried taking out the ram, cpu, gpu. The only thing we still need to troubleshoot is the psu but i dont think it could be that since five minutes earlier to the cooler replace, the pc was working ok. If nothing works er thought he´d borrow my psu to troubleshoot that but like i said, i doubt that is the issue here.

Any help on what it might be?

Is everything still plugged in ?

Was the motherboard removed while replacing the cooler?

Is the monitor plugged into the GPU and not the motherboard´s ports?

Which cooler was installed? Is the correct adapter for AMD being used to mount it?

reset the BIOS by jumper

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Reads to me like the cooler might be shorting the system to prevent any damages. Might it be possible to pass on specs for your build? Please include your system's specs like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Case:

Also, include images of the cooler and how it's installed.

Oct 6, 2020
Is everything still plugged in ?

Was the motherboard removed while replacing the cooler?

Is the monitor plugged into the GPU and not the motherboard´s ports?

Which cooler was installed? Is the correct adapter for AMD being used to mount it?

reset the BIOS by jumper

Everything is plugged in as it should, the motherboard was on the case, never removed. The video cable was on the gpu of course (and if it wasn´t the pc would turn on, just not show video)
And he installed an id cooling se 214 i think, an id cooling for sure. He used the AMD mount that came with it.

We´ll try reseting the bios tonight if nothing else works.

Oct 6, 2020
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Reads to me like the cooler might be shorting the system to prevent any damages. Might it be possible to pass on specs for your build? Please include your system's specs like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Case:

Also, include images of the cooler and how it's installed.

Thank you for the welcome and for the quick reply!

And in case it´s shorting it, how do we make it stop? regarding the build, you mean my build for my profile or his? haha

His build:

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
CPU cooler: Old one is amd stock (stealth i think?) and the new one is the id cooling Se 214 rgb
Motherboard: b450 Gigabyte
Ram: Corsair vengance rgb 16 (2x8)
SSD/HDD: 240 or 250 2.5" ssd and a hdd (i think 1tb)
GPU: msi 2060 super gaminx
PSU: 650 w 80 + bronce (i think its corsair but id have to get back to you on that)
Case: zentey z20

About the cooler pics, he took it out and now has the amd one since he tried it last night and didnt work again.

Another guy said we could reset the bios, is that likely to resolve it?