PC wont boot after a weird sudden crash

SadiFX

Reputable
Dec 30, 2014
Hi guys. I have a weird problem that I cant seem to fix or even understand. I was playing WoW and all of a sudden my pc crashed with lines appearing on my screen and I cant seem to get it to boot properly.
I see Asus logo appear, windows 10 logo and loading appear, and my screen just goes black. I also lost leds on my keyboard and mouse at this time. And my hdd led on case stops blinking.
I somehow managed to get to win10 recovery page. Tried restoring while keeping my files, restoring to a past date, and finally resetting. While resetting everything seems to have worked(I check storage info on bios and it says empty), I still CANT boot. Now it says win10 failed to install after win10 logo appears.
Finally I tried restoring to win7 with the old dvd I found, but I see 'out of range' on my monitor after it loads installing essentials(using 640x480 res doesnt seem to be working to solve this issue either). So I cant install win7 either.
So I am stuck here. Changed my sata sockets and everything I dont even know what the problem is now and I am completely lost. Can someone help me?

Solution
that drive is... um, i see why you need a new drive :)

you set it to F which is fix and its got 21k clusters to fix so it could be a while. It might eventually get to end.

if you weren't getting a replacement I would suggest you run some of the tests on this and try to find drives SMART score'

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

this is useful as well: http://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/

Colif

Win 11 Master
See if this works: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/use-ubuntu-live-cd-to-backup-files-from-your-dead-windows-computer/

See if it works, it will tell us if its hardware or not.

Try removing gpu and use onboard. Try swapping from DVI to VGA if your monitor and card support them
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/installation-of-windows-7-display-out-of-range/bc2f9fe6-345c-4e3a-8675-041483276e71

it sounds like a hardware problem if win 10 powered down on start up

SadiFX

Reputable
Dec 30, 2014
Well just now I tried to restore with a winxp dvd and installation failed saying my hdd is causing problems and cant install. Tells me to run chkdsk /f but I had already ran it and didnt help. The funny thing is, even though everything is somehow related to hdd, my monitor has 2 bold lines that show wrong color scheme on screen since the crash. So I dont know what is the main problem here. Should I find a new hdd and try to do a fresh install ?

Yes get another HDD and try to install windows 10. The fact that your HDD got damaged during the crash doesn't mean that your GPU is OK. In fact the GPU could cause the crash and your HDD got damaged in the process. Your hard drive maybe OK hardware wise but the crash may have messed your file system and you need to repartition the drive. It's best to try to reinstall windows to a new drive and if that works then you could try testing and fixing your current drive.

Post your system specs. All of these symptoms may get caused by a bad or failing PSU that damaged both your GPU and HDD. Also we need to know how old is your system or your various system parts.

How old is your GPU? Does your GPU fan spin? Have you ever cleaned it from dust? Do you remember if it overheated? Have you ever monitored its temps? More importantly what's your PSU?

Colif

Win 11 Master
As above said, problem could be hdd or GPU. You might need someone to look at it who has spares, saves buying new hdd and finding its not the cause.

hdd problem isn't likely to cause odd colours on screen, normally.

SadiFX

Reputable
Dec 30, 2014
Yes my gpu fans spin and it never overheated before. Max 75c under load. But my psu is a cheap one that comes with the case gigabyte setto ii 550w. My build is 3+ years. I was planning to upgrade my parts 1 by 1 but never thought they would crash. Gotta find a new hdd and test my gpu tomorrow then.

Colif

Win 11 Master
External drives are really slow, its really tricky to install windows onto them, and it depends on which version of windows you intend to use.

At this point, i would get it looked at by a repair shop, it could be PSU, GPU or HDD, or a combo of all three. A cheap PSU can take other things with it.

You can but it's not recommended. If it is USB3 you can but still it will be slower than an internal one. Also you have to format it and lose all you files so you have to move them somewhere else. If you decide to do it just make sure to configure the BIOS properly so that you can boot from the external drive. So you have to make your DVD 1st in boot order and your external drive 2nd. Also you have to remove both the sata and power cables from your current internal HDD. Otherwise the windows installation may fail.

If you have a spare internal HDD you can give it a try. Otherwise as someone else said I advice you to go to a service-repair shop and have them look at your PC.

Finally if you decide to upgrade your system I would definitely start from the PSU. The one you have isn't good and the fact that it is already 3+ years old means that you shouldn't trust it at all with new parts. In fact it may have damaged your GPU and then the GPU caused the crash which corrupted your HDD and also maybe developed bad sectors.

SadiFX

Reputable
Dec 30, 2014
Ok so I found an asus driver dvd and it lets me run command prompt. I tried running chkdsk /f /v and it gives me this screen https://postimg.org/image/4nizabe97/
It says there is thousands of lost clusters and a blinking indication below, doesnt let me put commands atm. Is it actually working to fix or is it stuck here?
Just trying to fix this manually while I try to get my hands on a new hdd.

Colif

Win 11 Master
that drive is... um, i see why you need a new drive :)

you set it to F which is fix and its got 21k clusters to fix so it could be a while. It might eventually get to end.

if you weren't getting a replacement I would suggest you run some of the tests on this and try to find drives SMART score'

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

this is useful as well: http://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/

Solution

SadiFX

Reputable
Dec 30, 2014
So that hdd is out of the box for sure :D. I just hope my gpu isnt gone for good. I am going to give the pc to a repair shop I know on monday and see the results. Thank you 2 for your help.

SadiFX

Reputable
Dec 30, 2014
Ok, I didnt want to post here again but there may be others who encounter similar problems like me, so I am posting again. I got the pc to a repair shop and explained everything. Left the pc there for a couple of hours and came back only to find out that my GPU was dead. After every error I got indicating I had problems with my hdd, it turns out my gpu was the problem. I dont know why but after everything I tried I was sure it was my hdd. So I am warning everyone who might have anything similar to what I did, never try to fix things in a rush. Things might not be how it looks. And I am so sad I lost this monster of a GPU. RIP

Colif

Win 11 Master
those lost clusters weren't a mirage though. Hdd might not be dead but its not exactly full health either. If you put it back in PC, run this on it: http://www.seagate.com/au/en/support/downloads/item/seatools-win-master/

GPU dying can take out operating systems, My GTX 260 (thousands of years ago) died and took my win Vista install with it. Not exactly the hdd but it can cause serious hassles. I had to upgrade to Win 7 as vista decided I had made too many changes and needed a new licence.

Sorry to hear about GPU - One upside to GPU dying is you can get one with its own drivers, the HD 7850 was close to having to use legacy drivers which are 1 size fits all for all AMD cards prior to 7850. It sucks but you might be able to play newer games... might. I had 3 gpu in my last PC though only one of them died in 10 years.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I just remembered, wow killed one of my PC's off. 11 years ago my GPU died in very much same way yours did, I was pushing its graphics more than I should have been doing. It only killed PC as the PC was using pre PCIe GPU and it was getting difficult to buy cards, so I basically had to buy a new PC. I still have that old PC, I loved case too much to throw it away.

I stopped playing WOW soon after I got new PC as it was before the expansion that upgraded the graphics in WOW to what it is today. Looking at current specs of WOW, my last PC wouldn't have been able to play it now, yet at the time I got PC, WOW wasn't pushing it hard enough and I wanted to see better graphics so i jumped to Age of Conan - what a mistake - and found I needed to buy a new card anyway to see it better. I couyld play it now but A) I don't want to again, and B) The 4k monitor + WOW would probably make PC look bad again.

SadiFX

Reputable
Dec 30, 2014
I will definitely run some SMART tests or whatever they are called after I can get my hands on the keyboard again.
My plan is getting a card like RX470 and undervolt it to a very safe place. Since my cpu will bottleneck the card like hell anyway. After I can get more money in my hands I plan to get a Skylake upgrade altogether. God, I just wished my gpu would hold on a few more months and I could retire the thing alive :D.

Colif

Win 11 Master
The card I replaced my GTX 260 with is the same card the PS4 is based off, so GPU was overkill for PC and made everything else look bad. I gave that PC to a friend this year when I knew I would never need it again. I expect he is still using same GPU

seatools is made by people who made your hdd so its best choice. Could replace it with SSD and get a speed boost in PC + move it to new PC later as well. SSD reduce another bottleneck in PC though CPU will still hurt performance