[SOLVED] Pc wont boot after adding ram

Jan 16, 2021
Installed two additional sticks of ram along with my existing ram ( now have 4 sticks of 8gb corsair vengeance RGB pro ) I to my motherboard

PC was fine yesterday until today. It crashed twice and I decided to go into bios to turn off all my over clocks and I also turned off XMP settings.

Ever since them my computer hasn't been able to even boot and it get stuck on the "boot" LED

I have a ASUS PRIME z-390-A

Would appreciate help, thank you :)

Solution
Power off PC, turn PSU switch to off and unplug power cord.
Press power button for 15-20 seconds (to discharge capacitors).
Remove the CMOS battery from the motherboard...wait 10 minutes and install it back.
Just leave the previous two RAM modules.
Plug power cord, turn PSU switch to on and power PC.
It is hard to predict the outcome when you mix and match modules that were not tested to work together.
Even though you are buying two of the "exact same" modules, there is no guarantee that they will work together. The DRAM that goes into a kit (package) has been tested to work together. Manufacturers don’t guarantee mixing or adding one set to another, even when they are the "exact same" model.

Mixing RAM with different tRFC (secondary DRAM timings), could caused the motherboard to refuse to work even when the RAM appear to have similar specs. Even when they appear to be similar, the IC chips might even come from different manufactures.

To be sure that RAM will work together you will have to buy RAM kits.

That's why manufacturers and vendors won't provide support for that configuration.

Jan 16, 2021
It is hard to predict the outcome when you mix and match modules that were not tested to work together.
Even though you are buying two of the "exact same" modules, there is no guarantee that they will work together. The DRAM that goes into a kit (package) has been tested to work together. Manufacturers don’t guarantee mixing or adding one set to another, even when they are the "exact same" model.

Mixing RAM with different tRFC (secondary DRAM timings), could caused the motherboard to refuse to work even when the RAM appear to have similar specs. Even when they appear to be similar, the IC chips might even come from different manufactures.

To be sure that RAM will work together you will have to buy RAM kits.

That's why manufacturers and vendors won't provide support for that configuration.
Hmmm, okay but a problem I have now is that even with JUST my old ram exactly how it was, my system won't boot

Power off PC, turn PSU switch to off and unplug power cord.
Press power button for 15-20 seconds (to discharge capacitors).
Remove the CMOS battery from the motherboard...wait 10 minutes and install it back.
Just leave the previous two RAM modules.
Plug power cord, turn PSU switch to on and power PC.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS