May 4, 2019
Hi guys,

I recently installed an older ssd into my pc because i needed more storage, and was planning on using the drive as a backup drive. After i installed it, my PC hasn't booted properly at all. Initially it started booting from the old ssd instead of my main ssd. windows went through an update cycle and so i shut it down after that was complete. Now every time i try to boot the pc it wont boot from either ssd properly. All i get now is windows trying to boot and stuck on the windows logo loading screen, then after a shutdown it goes into "Preparing Automatic Repair" and then i just get a black screen with a cursor, regardless of which drive i try to boot from. I've tried changing boot priorities, i've tried a hard shutdown 3 times to try to get into recovery and that hasn't worked for some reason, and i've tried anything else i could think of to try and get it to boot.
I don't know what else to do so i thought someone here might know since the forums here have generally been quite helpful for fixing issues.
Please help!
Thank you.

May 4, 2019
The fast path to taking care of this is to delete all partitions on both SSDs, and reinstall windows to the new drive, and format the old drive for file storage.
Honestly i was worried this would be the only way to fix, however I have no idea how to do either of those things haha. I guess i'll look into it. Thanks

May 4, 2019
if it break after you put the old ssd in, the first thing would be take it out and see if that the issue
Already tried that, multiple times. Also tried changing all boot priorities.
I've made a recovery usb and tried to boot from that but i just get a black screen and a cursor when i try to boot from that for some reason. Can't access any recovery options.
Has anyone had the same/similar issue and know of a fix without losing all the data on my main ssd?

May 4, 2019
This happened to me once, and i ended up installing windows again. Sorry for the bad news, but you don't lose any of your work, just have to reinstall everything... gah
I figured this could be the case. I've just been trying to avoid losing any data if possible. I might get a brand new ssd or hdd and a new copy of windows to boot from, hopefully that might fix the issue.

I figured this could be the case. I've just been trying to avoid losing any data if possible. I might get a brand new ssd or hdd and a new copy of windows to boot from, hopefully that might fix the issue.

What is on the old SSD that you need? If nothing, install windows onto that one. Save you money - plus you don't need to format it.
Just install windows 10 over the top if possible

May 4, 2019
What is on the old SSD that you need? If nothing, install windows onto that one. Save you money - plus you don't need to format it.
Just install windows 10 over the top if possible
Thats a good point, I'll give that a shot too. Just honestly... not sure how to do that when i can't get into recovery mode on the drive. will i need another pc with a sata -> usb adapter?