[SOLVED] PC Won't Boot After Power Outage

Jan 16, 2021
Hello Guys!

I'm just looking for some advice - I've had to switch the power off in my whole house today and forgot to switch the PC off. When I have restored the power in my house my PC won't boot (all fans and lights were on, but nothing on the screen).

I was also unable to switch the PC off or reset it with the reset button.

So I've switched it off with the power switch on the PSU , removed CMOS battery, inserted it back in after 1minute and the PC is now working fine (at least I'm able to write this post now!).

Now the question... Should I be worried if this happened? Should I start thinking about returning the PSU and replacing for a new one? Why this would happen and why removing CMOS battery would fix it? (I've also removed GPU as battery is under GPU - stupid Gigabyte design).

My Setup:
Ryzen 5 5600X
GeForce RTX™ 3060 Ti GAMING OC 8G
B550 Aorus Elite AX v2 Motherboard
2 x 8GB Corsair Pro Memory
XPG Core Reactor 850W Power Supply

I will be replacing my GPU soon for 3070 and was wondering if should I risk it … or replace my PSU first ? Or maybe this was normal behaviour if removing CMOS battery fixed it?

Cheers.

Solution
I mean it's cheap Tesco Extension Lead with 8 sockets in it … I cannot even find Surge Protection signs on it to be honest!

You never think about these kind of things when building your new PC , but in this kind of situations you realize that it can actually save your whole setup in case of the power surge.

New one already ordered and on the way to me! Hopefully it was only a tiny corruption in BIOS and it didn't damage my components :( ...

Have someone had the same issue in the past?
I've had issues like this tons of times. I have a whole plant full of computers that I'm responsible for that loses power.
As far as the extension lead again...I think it's probably not causing any problems...but I would get a surge protector...
I think something may have gotten corrupted in the BIOS due to the power switching off.
Being you reset the BIOS to the defaults....and it's working properly now I think there's a good chance that's all it was.

I would continue to run and see what happens.

As far as the " I have a cheap power extension lead ".
Not sure what you mean by this...but it sounds like you shouldn't be using it. ;)

Jan 16, 2021
I think something may have gotten corrupted in the BIOS due to the power switching off.
Being you reset the BIOS to the defaults....and it's working properly now I think there's a good chance that's all it was.

I would continue to run and see what happens.

As far as the " I have a cheap power extension lead ".
Not sure what you mean by this...but it sounds like you shouldn't be using it. ;)

I mean it's cheap Tesco Extension Lead with 8 sockets in it … I cannot even find Surge Protection signs on it to be honest!

You never think about these kind of things when building your new PC , but in this kind of situations you realize that it can actually save your whole setup in case of the power surge.

New one already ordered and on the way to me! Hopefully it was only a tiny corruption in BIOS and it didn't damage my components :( ...

I've had issues like this tons of times. I have a whole plant full of computers that I'm responsible for that loses power.
As far as the extension lead again...I think it's probably not causing any problems...but I would get a surge protector on there.
I use this.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B001JPJWZE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Plus I have a whole house surge protector on my panel box.

Solution