[SOLVED] PC won't boot after power outage ?

dheep.cherian

Commendable
Sep 29, 2018
Yesterday, there was a power outage in my area while I was using my PC, and it shut down. This isn't the first time it has happened, but unlike the previous times where I would just turn on my PC when the power came back, when I tried to turn it on, it wouldn't boot. I tried swapping the power supply with my brother's, and this time, the CPU fan started spinning (which didn't happen with mine), but the MSI EZ debug LEDs on my motherboard for the CPU and RAM lit up, indicating that they either weren't detected or had failed.

I should also mention that my monitor seems to have died after the outage and will refuse to turn on at all, however it was an extremely old monitor, and would take almost 30 minutes to turn on recently, its power indicator flickering on and off till it eventually turned on. After the power outage this doesn't happen, it seems to be completely fried.

I do use a surge protector extension box with a fuse, and the power cable going into my power supply also has a fuse.

My PC specs are:
Ryzen 3 2200G
MSI A320M Pro VD/S motherboard
2x4 GB G.skill Ripjaws V DDR4 RAM @2400MHz
Corsair VS450 Power Supply (grey label)
I don't have a GPU, I use the integrated Vega 8 graphics

This PC is essential for my online classes so any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
I tried swapping the power supply with my brother's, and this time, the CPU fan started spinning (which didn't happen with mine), but the MSI EZ debug LEDs on my motherboard for the CPU and RAM lit up, indicating that they either weren't detected or had failed.
Did you try your PSU on your brother's PC to see if it works?
I do use a surge protector extension box with a fuse, and the power cable going into my power supply also has a fuse. This PC is essential for my online classes so any pointers would be greatly appreciated.
All this sounds like some components were damaged or reset to factory. The surge protection may have prevented an actual fire or sparks flying around inside your case.

Apparently your brother's PSU...

Udyr

Honorable
Mar 3, 2021
I tried swapping the power supply with my brother's, and this time, the CPU fan started spinning (which didn't happen with mine), but the MSI EZ debug LEDs on my motherboard for the CPU and RAM lit up, indicating that they either weren't detected or had failed.
I do use a surge protector extension box with a fuse, and the power cable going into my power supply also has a fuse. This PC is essential for my online classes so any pointers would be greatly appreciated.
All this sounds like some components were damaged or reset to factory. The surge protection may have prevented an actual fire or sparks flying around inside your case.

Apparently your brother's PSU works fine, so keep testing with it. Check the CPU and the socket: see if there's any apparent damage. Check the RAM's pins and smell around for any lingering burning scent. Disassemble the whole thing and inspect each part one by one. Also check the CMOS battery cause they can go out after these incidents.

Reactions: dheep.cherian
Solution

dheep.cherian

Commendable
Sep 29, 2018

Apparently your brother's PSU works fine, so keep testing with it. Check the CPU and the socket: see if there's any apparent damage. Check the RAM's pins and smell around for any lingering burning scent. Disassemble the whole thing and inspect each part one by one. Also check the CMOS battery cause they can go out after these incidents.
No I didn't, because when I plugged in my PSU to the wall socket (with my PC), there was a faint sparking sound coming from in, so I was too scared to turn on the computer while using my PC. I will inspect the rest of the parts, would you know if there is a risk of my hard drive being damaged?

Udyr

Honorable
Mar 3, 2021
No I didn't, because when I plugged in my PSU to the wall socket (with my PC), there was a faint sparking sound coming from in, so I was too scared to turn on the computer while using my PC. I will inspect the rest of the parts, would you know if there is a risk of my hard drive being damaged?
Sometimes when you plug in the power cord to the PSU there is a faint sound, but that doesn't mean the PSU itself is burnt or damaged... although I'd avoid using it if you're not sure of it's integrity. There's always a risk some parts may be damaged (or corrupted) after a power surge.