Question PC won't boot after small surge from 12v Kinect power supply, is my Motherboard fried?

JonTheJew

Reputable
Dec 18, 2015
I just want to start of by saying I just built this computer 2 weeks ago for $500 so I'm pretty heartbroken right now. And I know the title is confusing, I will explain. I was soldering a 12v power supply onto a Kinect 2.0 and it worked fine but I had a bad solder. So I went to fix it and tried again and when I plugged it in my computer shut off and now I fear I fried either the Motherboard or power supply on my PC... Without thinking I plugged the Kinect power supply into the same surge protector as my computer thinking it would be fine. I was lazy and I was wrong. The power button on the computer does absolutely nothing now but the computer does turn on when unplugging and replugging the power supply. All the fans are spinning and the LEDs are glowing. Computer stays on for about 45 seconds then shuts down. No signal on the screen and the CPU seems to still be ice cold. I had my monitor and speakers both plugged into the same surge protector but they are both fine. Only thing different between them and my pc is that I had a USB 3.0 a to b going from my Kinect to my PC to test it. That's where I think everything went wrong. If anyone's has any suggestions on what to do I'd greatly appreciate it.

JonTheJew

Reputable
Dec 18, 2015
not sure why anyone would risk there PC by doing something like this but the only thing i can think of is clear the CMOS with jumper or taking out the battery for a few minutes
Yeah I didn't think I was risking my PC or I definitely wouldn't have done it, I was an idiot and I learned from my mistake for sure. I tried clearing the CMOS multiple times with no luck. Have been told I made a homemade "USB Killer" and it's looking like that's what happened.