Question PC won't boot - suspect a dead motherboard

rabbitcfh

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2014
Hello,

Recently I shipped my 4-year old PC internationally (insured) and upon arrival, it won't boot anymore. When I press the power button nothing happens.

This is what I've tried so far:
- Did the paperclip test with the PSU - it worked
- Removed and reseated the CMOS battery
- Unplugged the front IO cables and tried shorting the pins to boot the PC - nothing happens
- I tried holding the BIOS flashback button and the light came on - does that mean that the motherboard is still working or is that irrelevant?

Is there anything else I can try to at least pinpoint the issue?

My specs are:
MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
AMD Ryzen 3600XT
RAM Patriot RGB 2x16 GB 3200MHz
PSU Corsair TX750M
RTX 3060 Ti

Thanks in advance.

Lutfij

Titan
Did the paperclip test with the PSU - it worked
+
PSU Corsair TX750M
How old is the PSU in your build and what had it powered prior to the RTX3060Ti? The paperclip test is flawed, it tells you the PSU can output power but it doesn't tell you the amount of power the PSU can effectively output.

I tried holding the BIOS flashback button and the light came on - does that mean that the motherboard is still working or is that irrelevant?
Yes.

Try and source(borrow, not buy) a reliably built PSU and see if the issue persists.

rabbitcfh

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2014
Did the paperclip test with the PSU - it worked
+
PSU Corsair TX750M
How old is the PSU in your build and what had it powered prior to the RTX3060Ti? The paperclip test is flawed, it tells you the PSU can output power but it doesn't tell you the amount of power the PSU can effectively output.

I tried holding the BIOS flashback button and the light came on - does that mean that the motherboard is still working or is that irrelevant?
Yes.

Try and source(borrow, not buy) a reliably built PSU and see if the issue persists.
The PSU is a little under 4 years old. Pretty much my entire build is the same from the start, including the GPU. I had a PSU die on me in a previous build in the past and the symptoms were the same (i.e. nothing happening when trying to boot).

Yes.
Sorry, do you mean "yes, it means the motherboard is still working" or "yes, it's irrelevant"? :D If it's still working, I kind of regret fiddling with the BIOS.

Thank you for your help, I will try to find a PSU somewhere to test. Worst case scenario, I'll have a 2nd working PSU.