[SOLVED] PC won't boot up from SSD

Nov 24, 2019
So, recently I had some trouble with my computer shutting off after 30 minutes, and not turning back on. I bought a new PSU and now it powers up again.
However now, when I try to boot it up it says "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key"

When I go into BIOS, I selected the SSD where Windows is installed but continue to get the same message. In addition to the SSD, I've a 1 TB HDD which doesn't show up in BIOS and I can't seem to open the disk drive to boot up from a windows install CD. I've tried both the old cables and new cables but nothing seems to work.
I generally do not have any ideas anymore. PLEASE HELP

PC specs:
Windows 10
CPU: Intel Core i7 4790
RAM: 16,0GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Motherboard: ASRock Z97X Killer
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
PSU: Corsair TX850M 850Watt Gold

Last edited:
Solution
Okay, now I understand. Yes, the HDD was installed at the time. However, the thing that I don't understand is why the HDD nor the Disk drive won't show up in BIOS. I can't even open the disk drive. It seems like it som doesn't have any power.
If the HDD was connected during the original OS install, and it is now non-functional (for whatever reason), that is why the system is not booting up.
The boot partition is on the non-functional HDD. Yes, the OS is on the SSD> MS, in its infinite wisdom, causes the boot partition to end up on a second drive if present.
Remove that drive, and no boot for you.

Now, to figure out why the HDD is not working...
Nov 24, 2019
I didn't say you re-installed it. I asked if the HDD was installed when you first installed the OS. If the boot files have been on the HDD all along, and you're just now having issues with the HDD, then this makes sense.
Okay, now I understand. Yes, the HDD was installed at the time. However, the thing that I don't understand is why the HDD nor the Disk drive won't show up in BIOS. I can't even open the disk drive. It seems like it som doesn't have any power.

USAFRet

Titan
If the HDD was connected during the original OS install, and it is now non-functional (for whatever reason), that is why the system is not booting up.
The boot partition is on the non-functional HDD. Yes, the OS is on the SSD> MS, in its infinite wisdom, causes the boot partition to end up on a second drive if present.

Solution
Nov 24, 2019

OK, thanks you very much. I'm going to connect the HDD and the disk drive to another pc to see if they work, if not, I might have fried them