[SOLVED] PC won't boot Windows 10 after the windows update

svorcs

Reputable
Nov 5, 2018
Well, let me begin.....
I am going to go into details and over exaggerate.
1 hour before the accident i was trying to reinstall the omen HP software, then even before I plugged the phone into my PC via USB, unplugged it and it popped up 6 times that has been removed some time later whatever....
I recently changed my CPU to i9 9900KF. Before the i5 9400F was inside. I have proper cooling with fans set to MAX, CPU fan on Dark Rock 4 is connected to the PUMP. The top larger 140x140mm fan is on the ceiling of the case also set at max (i know that's not important in this thread but anyway)...
I have Z390 A- ProSeries MB.
MSI RTX 2060 6Gb
24Gb of ram ((crucial ballistix)3x8)

I just clicked the "Update and shut down" button and left my room when I got back i see ProSeries on black background and nothing is loading into windows. I reset it, entered UEFI bios and set everything to default with F6 boot it, nothing...same... I tried again with F8 at boot now it's saying: preparing automatic repair under the Pro Series logo. Then i tried with F11 to boot from the windows SSD (as it was doing it normal) part again same. I think the update of Windows 10 (totally not genuine and licensed) must have caused the failure in boot up.
ADDITION: I am looking at the PROSERIES logo and Preparing Automatic Repair on screen for longer than an hour now.

Please if I can get info on how to fix this without bringing computer to the repair service I'll be glad. Thanks in advance.

Solution
can't scan for malware when windows won't load

interrupting windows when its updating isn't a good idea.

On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

anything on PC you want to save?
  • on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
  • choose troubleshoot
  • choose advanced
  • choose command prompt
  • type notepad and press enter
  • in notepad, select file>open
  • Use file explorer to copy any files you need to save to USB or another hdd

once you copied anything off, clean install
follow this guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

Colif

Win 11 Master
can't scan for malware when windows won't load

interrupting windows when its updating isn't a good idea.

On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

anything on PC you want to save?
  • on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
  • choose troubleshoot
  • choose advanced
  • choose command prompt
  • type notepad and press enter
  • in notepad, select file>open
  • Use file explorer to copy any files you need to save to USB or another hdd

once you copied anything off, clean install
follow this guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

Solution

svorcs

Reputable
Nov 5, 2018
windows update do scan for malware.

Why are you using non genuine? you can run a legit version unactivated

Try a fresh os install with installation media from MS website
Thanks I will try the formate fresh OS installation, thank god i have a USB with os on it. PC was also somehow ready for "cleansing" anyway.

svorcs

Reputable
Nov 5, 2018
Wooooff I think I really f-ed up something system wouldn't even let me through logo and windows logo when trying to load USB for formatting windows on. The loading dot circle freezes. But i can easily enter UEFI-Legacy and changee settings there. I have no clue what happened. I turned the PC on after it was already done with updates then when i came back to see what's up it was at logo. Nothing further. Fuuuu.

svorcs

Reputable
Nov 5, 2018
Wooooff I think I really f-ed up something system wouldn't even let me through logo and windows logo when trying to load USB for formatting windows on. The loading dot circle freezes. But i can easily enter UEFI-Legacy and changee settings there. I have no clue what happened. I turned the PC on after it was already done with updates then when i came back to see what's up it was at logo. Nothing further. Fuuuu.
In addition: i took off pc side panel now, took out the graphics card and 3 ram sticks put them back into same place, connected to monitor, turned on pc and NOW IT DOESN'T EVEN RECIEVING SIGNAL, what the hell is happening? Before that I checked the power cable on the back of the monitor screen and heard a little static it turned off but then in plug it out and back plug it in then the picture was OK. I DON'T understand what the hell happend.... From a single unnecessary Windows update that effed up my boot now I came to the problem with not recieving the signal from graphics unit... I am really thinking of suicide now. PC is barley 2 years old with some upgrades that are fully compatible.

svorcs

Reputable
Nov 5, 2018
Ohg no no... I forget to plug pin into GPU....
NOW only the first problem remains i am very confused and tired to get it up working is the only thing i want BUT. It only lets me change the UEFI-LEGACY settings changing boot priorities ect. ect. I made everything default numerous times, try it to boot off USB with a os on but it doesn't let me through the windows or MB logo it visibly freezes and doesn't continue any work even the automatic repair freezes .... I hope there is a solution for this matter. Please send more info. Thanks.

Colif

Win 11 Master
have you tried boot override? page 55 here - https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/E7B98v1.2.pdf
put USB in at startup
go into bios
leave boot order how it was with C as 1st choice (or windows boot manager if it uses that)
go to save & exit screen
choose boot override
pick USB from list (may have UEFI in front of name)
PC should boot from USB and run installer.

If you run into an error where windows thinks its doing an update and suggests you restart PC to let it run, we will have to wipe the drive to let you continue.
boot from boot override again
On screen after language choice, pick repair pc, not install
Pick troubleshoot
Pick advanced
Pick Command Prompt
Type diskpart and press enter
Type list disk and press enter
This will show the list of drives currently attached to PC, make note of the drive number of the drive you want to wipe
If Disk 1 is the drive you want to clear, type select 1) and press enter. A message will confirm it is selected

Warning: Diskpart Erase/Clean will permanently erase/destroy all data on the selected drive. Please be certain that you are erasing the correct disk.

Once you sure its right disk, type Clean and press enter

The Command Prompt window will display the message "DiskPart succeeded in cleaning the disk". Close out of the Command Prompt window by clicking the red X in the upper right hand corner.

ONce drive is blank restart the installer and follow this guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

its 8am here so I understand late :)

Reactions: svorcs

svorcs

Reputable
Nov 5, 2018
have you tried boot override? page 55 here - https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/E7B98v1.2.pdf
put USB in at startup
go into bios
leave boot order how it was with C as 1st choice (or windows boot manager if it uses that)
go to save & exit screen
choose boot override
pick USB from list (may have UEFI in front of name)
PC should boot from USB and run installer.

If you run into an error where windows thinks its doing an update and suggests you restart PC to let it run, we will have to wipe the drive to let you continue.
boot from boot override again
On screen after language choice, pick repair pc, not install
Pick troubleshoot
Pick advanced
Pick Command Prompt
Type diskpart and press enter
Type list disk and press enter
This will show the list of drives currently attached to PC, make note of the drive number of the drive you want to wipe
If Disk 1 is the drive you want to clear, type select 1) and press enter. A message will confirm it is selected

Warning: Diskpart Erase/Clean will permanently erase/destroy all data on the selected drive. Please be certain that you are erasing the correct disk.

Once you sure its right disk, type Clean and press enter

The Command Prompt window will display the message "DiskPart succeeded in cleaning the disk". Close out of the Command Prompt window by clicking the red X in the upper right hand corner.

ONce drive is blank restart the installer and follow this guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

its 8am here so I understand late :)
Pheew! I finally got it working thanks to some old info on some site from a year ago, i just downloaded the latest BIOS for my MSI Motherboard put it on a flash drive updated the BIOS then run the PC again it booted 3 times and finally let me in the windows perfectly intact and all set where i left! Should I be careful for the next updates for windows 10 now? Pretty sure i will turn off the Automatic Updates now! THANKS the PROBLEM IS SOLVED!
SOLVED SOLVED SOLVED!

Reactions: Colif