PC won't connect to network

swgod98

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2007
First off, Merry Christmas everyone. What a day to have PC problems! :) :\

Today, for no apparent reason, one of my computers is not accessing the internet (or local network) at all. The network configuration shows it is connected to something as the network icon is active, but the browser acts as if it can't connect. When I try to ping the router, it times out. But, the router shows the little light that indicates it's connected to the PC.

When I disconnect the cable modem from the router, then reboot the router and PC, then it can connect to it...but when I plug the cable modem back in, it fails again. The thing is, my other PC that is connected to the same router is working fine at all times.

The PC having the problems is even getting an IP address assigned to it...just no communication seems to be going in or out. I disabled the firewall and don't have anti-virus running on it.

I've tried a different (known working) cable. I've tried them in different ports on the router.

I tried renewing the IP, but it fails.

I'm running WinXP sp2.

Any ideas on what can be done here? I'm at a loss as nothing has been changed on the PC. In fact, there's not even a restore point I can go back to.

Any advice would be helpful, and if I can help with any answers, please let me know.

Thanks.

swgod98

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2007
Tried the winsock fix, nada.

Here's my ipconfig info (thanks for the help)...

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : doug-esow5v8am7
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : oc.cox.net

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : oc.cox.net
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8169/8110 Family Gigabit
Ethernet NIC
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0C-76-97-F1-23
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.100
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, December 25, 2008 7:35:15
AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Friday, December 26, 2008 7:35:15 AM

Any ideas? :)

swgod98

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2007
More info, in case it helps:

When I try to access the router (192.168.0.1) from the PC with problems, it times out. When I try to access a website, it returns an error message of "website cannot be found". From my other PC that is working, I have no problems with accessing the router or websites.

When I set the router to give out static IP addresses (which is typically how I have it setup), the PC is actually getting the correct IP. I've changed it and when I reboot, the computers IP is changed.

On the problem PC, I cannot ping anything (it timeouts) either.

HeaVenS

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2009
you have your starting ip address set to 192.168.0.100... notice how it obtained 100 instead of lower number like 3/5/10 etc (unless you manually set it up).... internet comes to router then it has two places asking for same connection so it can only give one.... you will have to change in router settings setting up manual ip wont work since router probably isnt issuing any other ip's

G

WTF??? You have no clue what you're talking about. Didn't you see that replacing the NIC solved the problem? Where do these newbies come from?

Grumpy

swgod98

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2007
No need to jump on his case. I appreciate all the help everyone has provided. I'm pretty sure the motherboard NIC is toast (unless the driver is stuck, but I tried to uninstall it and everything, didn't work).

My router is set to manually give out IP's starting from 192.168.0.100+

The router is the only IP set lower than 100.

The good news is that it's working now and I'm convinced replacing the card was the correct solution.

HeaVenS

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2009
thx swgod

A) No i didnt see i misread

B) Ive noticed problems with some of the older linksys routers addressing IP's over 192.168.1.100 i.e. .101..... i should have seen his default is 192.168.0.1 so im assuming your using a netgear maybe? Anyway point being i have seen this problem several times where the computers are setup to obtain ip address automatically and they both try to use 192.168.1.100, and setting the starting issued ip to 192.168.1.2 solved the problem

C) I also didnt see that you failed to ping anything if it was same ip you could still ping router just not WAN

G

You still don't know what you're talking about. It makes no difference whether the DHCP range starts at 192.168.0.2 or 192.168.0.100.

Grumpy