Question PC won't post after CPU upgrade

Feb 6, 2024
I just upgraded from an old Ryzen 5 1500x to a Ryzen 7 5800x, however for some reason after installing the new CPU the PC didn't post. At first I tried updating the bios, but the only change I have noticed is that my keyboard and mouse light up, which I hope means my CPU is alive.

My components:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800x
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060
Mobo: ASUS PRIME A320M-A
RAM: KLEVV Bolt DDR4-3200MHz 2x8GB
PSU: EVGA 700BR
SSD: Sabrent 1TB Rocket M.2 2280
HDD: Seagate (not sure what model, definitely not a Barracuda)

Things I have already tried:

1 - BIOS Update: I updated to the latest version of the BIOS, and as said before all it did was light up the LEDs on my keyboard and mouse (fans spin too btw)

2 - Re-installing old CPU: PC works just fine with the old CPU. That is also how I managed to update BIOS.

3 - One stick of RAM: no difference, still won't boot.

4 - Checking compatibilities: ASUS' website claims the cpu is indeed compatible, as well as other 5000 series CPUs.

Some help would be great for this. Thank you!

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

BIOS Update: I updated to the latest version of the BIOS, and as said before all it did was light up the LEDs on my keyboard and mouse (fans spin too btw)
Did you clear the CMOS after you'd verified that the BIOS was successfully updated?

For the sake of relevance, what BIOS version are you on for your motherboard?

In all honesty I wished you didn't prop that processor onto a motherboard without cooling for the VRM.

Feb 6, 2024
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

BIOS Update: I updated to the latest version of the BIOS, and as said before all it did was light up the LEDs on my keyboard and mouse (fans spin too btw)
Did you clear the CMOS after you'd verified that the BIOS was successfully updated?

For the sake of relevance, what BIOS version are you on for your motherboard?

In all honesty I wished you didn't prop that processor onto a motherboard without cooling for the VRM.
The version should be 6210 released on October 31st, 2023. I am aware of owning a terrible motherboard already, but at the moment I cannot afford an upgrade.

mc_spaceman

Reputable
Aug 6, 2019
to be honest.. youve tried updating the bios.. have you tried a second time? even if it did work.. the old ram would bottleneck the 5800x as the board is limited to i believe 2666 or 3000mhz? ram speeds are much slower on that board than say on a x550 or x570 board. the "infinity thread' of your current ram vs new cpu would cause the cpu to run slower.

after the bios update.. leave the computer run for 5-10 min.. even if it doesnt post.. sometimes it takes the bios a bit to learn and pair with new architecture.

i would suggest upgrading the mobo if you can. and eventually the ram to 3600/4000 (infinity thread on the ram for the 5000 series cpus runs around 3980mhz). so at 3600mhz you will get very close to a matched use and processing speeds. not all boards will accespt the 4000mhz ram.

Last edited: