Question PC won't post after power outage

Hey there...

I'm having an issue with my Asrock X470 Taichi and I hope someone on here can help me... I've had this motherboard for about 4 months and it has been working fine. Yesterday there was a power outage, and now the motherboard won't post.

When I started it after the power outage, I was getting 5 short beeps. After looking that up, it seemed related to the graphics card. It also conformed to the Dr.Debug post code, which was d6. After I looked, the fans of the graphics card were not spinning when power up the PC. I decided to take the graphics card out (R9 Fury) and put it back in, and the same issue remained. I then decided to reset the CMOS by pressing the reset button in the back. I stopped getting any beeps, and now I get post code either 76 or 7b, don't know which it is. I have a link to a video later.

I thought my graphics card died at first, so I took an old HD 6850 and stuck it in there, and, the same error occurred. But on this card, the fans do spin at least, but, the errors are the same.

I then removed all USB devices, SATA devices, and my sound and graphics card. All that remained are my two NVME drives. I then reinstalled my memory and my CPU, reset the CMOS by both pressing the button and removing the battery, and the same issue occurred... Basically it starts posting, and when it reaches 76/7b, it stays there indefinitely. I left it on for an hour. So I have to manually shut it down by holding the power button for a few seconds. I should also mention that posting without RAM gives the proper error code.

I have recorded a video of the error code, with only CPU, RAM and my 2 NVME drives connected;
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO87wanhPKU

So my questions;
What is the error code? 76 or 7b?
What does the error code above mean? (CPU? Motherboard? Something else?)
How do I fix it?

Specs;
Asrock X470 Taichi
AMD Ryzen 1700 @ Stock
2x16GB G.Skill 3200CL14 @ 3200CL14
Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro+ OC @ stock
Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB
Adata 8200 Pro 1TB
EVGA SuperNOVA G2

Thanks for the help.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
I think its 76, Dr debug says codes 61-91 are Chipset initialization errors. Please press reset or clear CMOS. I could not find any codes for 7b.
so you have a spare PSU you could try? I like to clear the PSU after any power related issues.
sorry its not more helpful.

Yeah... Seems to be the PSU... I didn't have another one lying around but... I decided to test the power supply by hooking it up to my old system which I didn't sell yet. It's an AM3+ system with an FX 8320 and 16GB of RAM. I hooked it up with an older graphics card (HD6850), and all seemed fine...

I decided to stress the PSU more by putting my main GPU, the R9 Fury Nitro on the old system, and similar issues began popping up. GPU fans didn't spin, no beep codes etc. So yeah...

Would this be covered under warranty? Because the EVGA G2 has a 10 year limited warranty.

Ok so... I bought a new power supply, aaaaaaaaaaand the issue is still there >_< Main difference? Now the motherboard is in a boot loop rather than remaining on indefinitely, but it still gives the same error code.

I cleared CMOS, tried with different graphics cards again, tried both RAM modules on their own in each memory slot... I guess all that's left is processor or motherboard...

TRENDING THREADS