Question PC won't post after upgrading from ryzen 2400g to ryzen 5600gt. MOBO ASUS B450M

Jul 6, 2024
Old setup:

Ryzen 5 2400g
ASUS PRIME B450M-A (BIOS 4604 from 2024)
3x8GB RAM:
Memória Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB 3000Mhz DDR4 C16 Black - CMK8GX4M1D3000C16
Memória Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB 3000Mhz DDR4 C16 Black - CMK8GX4M1D3000C16
Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB 8GB DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15 - CMK16GX4M2B3000C15

New Setup:
Ryzen 5 5600GT
ASUS PRIME B450M-A (BIOS 4604 from 2024)
CORSAIR - VENGEANCE LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz C16 UDIMM Desktop Memory - Black - CMK32GX4M2E3200C16

Problem:

When upgrading i switched both CPU and memories simultaneously (in fact even used all 4 slots with a pair of the older memories as well). PC wouldn't turn on, not even get to the BIOS. Tried to remove the newer memories and go back to the previous setting with only the older memories in place. Didn't work. Switched the CPU back to 2400g. Still, no POST.

The MOBO has lights and the cooler fan is working for both cases, so I guess the MOBO isn't dead. No energy for keyboard/mouse though. If I connect a phone charger to the MOBO USB, there's energy.

I'm running out of ideas of why this happened. Any clues? The system should work properly with the old configuration if there was no damage to any of the parts in the process, right?

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Did you try clearing the CMOS? Did you flash the BIOS prior to dropping the Ryzen 5 5600GT into the socket? You're advised to clear the CMOS after you've verified your BIOS was flashed to the latest version.

Which slots are the new rams populating on the motherboard?

You forgot to mention the make and model of your PSU and it's age.

Reactions: helper800
Jul 6, 2024
Thanks for the reception, Lutfij!

If by flash you mean updating it to the latest version, then yes I did update the MOBO's BIOS (and I checked that the latest version was indeed installed in the BIOS when i restarted the PC).
However, I did not remove the CMOS battery after doing so. I'll try that now.

The RAM slots I was using were the the 3 to the right, meaning the leftmost (closest to CPU) is empty. I'll try booting the PC with only one RAM now as well.

My PSU is a Corsair HX Series™ HX750W. It's from 2010 and has been working ever since my first build inside the same case.

kanewolf

Titan
Thanks for the reception, Lutfij!

If by flash you mean updating it to the latest version, then yes I did update the MOBO's BIOS (and I checked that the latest version was indeed installed in the BIOS when i restarted the PC).
However, I did not remove the CMOS battery after doing so. I'll try that now.

The RAM slots I was using were the the 3 to the right, meaning the leftmost (closest to CPU) is empty. I'll try booting the PC with only one RAM now as well.

My PSU is a Corsair HX Series™ HX750W. It's from 2010 and has been working ever since my first build inside the same case.
Since you have mismatched RAM, I would start with only whatever RAM was purchased as a SET (the two C16)

Jul 6, 2024
So, I tried removing the CMOS battery for 5 minutes as well as booting the PC with only the SET of C16 RAMs in positions 2 and 4 from left to right, as well as only one memory in slot 2. None of that worked. I'm clueless on what possibly to do next.

kanewolf

Titan
So, I tried removing the CMOS battery for 5 minutes as well as booting the PC with only the SET of C16 RAMs in positions 2 and 4 from left to right, as well as only one memory in slot 2. None of that worked. I'm clueless on what possibly to do next.
Maybe take some pictures and see if anybody can spot something. Post your pictures to imgur and post links here.

Jul 6, 2024
I have also tried turning the PC on without ANY RAMs in place, and there was no beep either, complete silence.

When I went again to take the requested picture, I decided to reinsert one RAM on slot 2 just for the picture lol.
It turned back on just fine. Maybe one of my RAMs wasn't 100% locked in place, but this is kind of curious because I have 5 corsair RAMs around here and I tried multiple combinations and settings before.

Anyway, I have now the newest 2x16GB installed with the Ryzen 2400G. Next step is to try to install the Ryzen 5600GT and hope for the best.

BTW, i have the stock cooler from AMD facing upwards for around 3 days now after I first tried to install the Ryzen 5600GT. Do I need to worry about the thermal paste getting dry or any other problem?

I have also tried turning the PC on without ANY RAMs in place, and there was no beep either, complete silence.

When I went again to take the requested picture, I decided to reinsert one RAM on slot 2 just for the picture lol.
It turned back on just fine. Maybe one of my RAMs wasn't 100% locked in place, but this is kind of curious because I have 5 corsair RAMs around here and I tried multiple combinations and settings before.

Anyway, I have now the newest 2x16GB installed with the Ryzen 2400G. Next step is to try to install the Ryzen 5600GT and hope for the best.

BTW, i have the stock cooler from AMD facing upwards for around 3 days now after I first tried to install the Ryzen 5600GT. Do I need to worry about the thermal paste getting dry or any other problem?
You should always clean the cooler and CPU with isopropanol and a cotton swap. And wait to dry before adding new thermal paste.

Do not use mismatched ram kits.

Reactions: sparkd5
Jul 6, 2024
So a little update:
I went forward with the install of the Ryzen 5600GT with its own stock cooler, all worked out just fine.

I have so far adjusted the BIOS so that the RAM runs at 3200Mhz (instead of the default 2133Mhz), as well as set dedicated VRAM for the iGPU to 2GB from the default 512MB (couldn't find more than that on my BIOS, is it possible? I've seen people going with 4GB and recommending it)
Is there any other specification change recommended for my setup besides the above 2?

Also, now I'm struggling with the secure boot from windows 10, mine is disabled and I even though I adjusted the UEFI settings on my BIOS, I think my initial install from windows 10 is missing this feature and I'll have to repair it. Anyone else had that problem? I want to update my system to windows 11.

Thanks!

TRENDING THREADS