Question PC wont post after Windows failure, VGA led on

Nov 21, 2020
Good afternoon,

So a month ago I purchased a new 5700 XT. I had to flash my bios because some things with RAMs were failing, but after this it was all going good. Yesterday I was leaving to work so I shut down my pc, but when I came back and tried to turn it on I found Windows got stuck on "shutting down" for 10 hours without turning off. So I did a hard reset and after that, when I tried to turn it on again, fans were going at max speed and I got no display. Turned it off and on again, fans are not going at max but I still get no display. I tried switching to my old RX 480 with no luck. The RX 480 is working properly because a friend of mine tested it on his PC (couldnt test the 5700 due to no double PCI connector on his PSU). Every component seems to get power due to fans and mobo lights going on, but VGA led stays at solid red without any flashing.

Im a bit hopeless right now because nothing seems to work: Ive tried resetting CMOS, plugging only 1 RAM stick, with no luck. I think maybe my PSU is failing but I have no way to know without buying a new one. I have no iGPu on my board so, how could I try something else?

Any help with troubleshooting is really appreciated. Specs are a gigabyte z390 UD, i5 9600kf, Hyperx 3000mhz, EVGA 500W 80+.

bignastyid

Titan
5700xt on a 500w PSU, you likely drove that PSU to an early death. It was way underpowered and the 500w PSUs from EVGA leave alot to be desired in the quality department. It's also possible the PSU took the GPU with it, but first step would be a bigger better PSU.

Nov 21, 2020
Says on website Required Power Supply 750W PSU maybe your GPU is not getting enough power?. You can always try removing your card and use your CPU onboard graphics and test it from there!
I have no iGPU so sadly cant do that.

depending on model some EVGA PSUs included a power supply tester - you can start there.

Dont have it. Is it expensive?

5700xt on a 500w PSU, you likely drove that PSU to an early death. It was way underpowered and the 500w PSUs from EVGA leave alot to be desired in the quality department. It's also possible the PSU took the GPU with it, but first step would be a bigger better PSU.

Id find that strange because it worked well for a month and flawlessy before that damned windows loop. The system didnt crash while I was gaming neither, in fact at the moment the GPU was not being used so I dont know what to think. And it ran my RX 480 for 4+ years without issues, with a really similar watt usage. Anyway is there a chance to discard if the psu is failing without switching to another one?

TRENDING THREADS