Question PC won't post, DRAM LED on but ram rgb turns on?

Jamezz2

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2014
So I was swapping my PC case to a HYTE Y60, and when I was done I plugged everything back in and turned it on. All the rgb works, fans run, but the DRAM led on the motherboard is lit up and it won't post. Occasionally I'll get the splash screen but that's it. The rgb lights on the ram work though.

I've tried both of the sticks in various slots. I tried removing the CMOS battery, taking off and remounting the cpu cooler, unplugging the 24pin and the supplemental motherboard power plugs. I have another kit of ram on the way now, but anyone have any ideas? I'm worried it's the motherboard, not the ram. Seems weird that both would just go bad.

Specs are R9-3900x, Asus Prime X570 pro motherboard, RX 6950XT, 32gb (2x16) G.skill Trident-Z Neo ram

Lutfij

Titan
Try working with one stick of ram. Ideally the two sticks will need to be in slots A2 and B2 of your motherboard.

Maybe see if Asus's CrashFreeBIOS 3 option helps relieve the issue;
page 3-22, section 3.11.3

You might also want to try drop the processor onto a known working motherboard. Likewise I'd try and drop in another known working processor into your board to see if the board is at fault or if your processor's memory controller when by-bye.

Jamezz2

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2014
Try working with one stick of ram. Ideally the two sticks will need to be in slots A2 and B2 of your motherboard.

Maybe see if Asus's CrashFreeBIOS 3 option helps relieve the issue;
page 3-22, section 3.11.3

You might also want to try drop the processor onto a known working motherboard. Likewise I'd try and drop in another known working processor into your board to see if the board is at fault or if your processor's memory controller when by-bye.
I am using one stick of ram. I doubt the Asus tool will help, it says that you need to enter bios setup and I can't even get to the bios.
If I had another working motherboard or another cpu, I'd do that. Could the memory controller really just die like that? I didn't remove it during the case swap, I only removed the AIO.