PC won't power on but MB lights come on with no errors

hawk214

Prominent
Jul 14, 2017
This is my part list:
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/hawk214/saved/wXJcf7

When I plugged in my PSU for the first time, the MB lights came on with none of the error lights showing anything. When I click the power button I can hear the PSU make a clicking noise but nothing happens past that. Fans do not turn on, the power light on the case does not turn on; the only feedback I'm getting are the RGB lights on the MB, the orange power light on the MB, and the clicking noise from the PSU. I've tried reseating pretty much everything (using different slots, etc, including RAM). Any suggestions?

This is my first real, full build so don't be afraid to ask if I made a stupid mistake.

PS I forgot to mention that I have the EVGA 1080ti not the version on the link

mbilal2

Reputable
Jun 15, 2017
That motherboard is nothing but trouble. I have had literally 5 people asking the same question with the same motherboard!! Asus needs to get their **** together.

The clicking can be a faulty PSU but with that motherboard, I highly doubt it. Just install one RAM and try powering it on. If it doesn't power on, try all different slots (start with a1). Install the fan in cpu_opt and try turning it on.

hawk214

Prominent
Jul 14, 2017

Thanks for the reply. I've already tried using just one RAM in each of the slots and its the same result each time. I believe the clicking noise is supposed to happen, as I've heard other people say the same thing about this PSU with working PCs. If i can't get it to work soon, I think the motherboard is the first thing I'll try replacing.

hawk214

Prominent
Jul 14, 2017

Sorry, I forgot to mention that. I tried all the different places for fans, including cpu_opt. In addition, my case has 4 built in fans, all connected to the motherboard, none of which have turned on.