Question PC wont power on with brand new Asus 3060 TI OC: Updated with 4060 TI and same issue!

Apr 26, 2023
So basically a continuation of the issues I had the last few months.

I just got a new 3060 TI OC replacement GPU from overclockers because the 750watt PSU I bought from scan a few months ago was faulty and it fried my old 3060 TI amongst other hardware too so I had to RMA my old Zotac 3060 TI.

So anyway, the current system I am using is this.

MOBO: ga-a320m-sh
CPU: Ryzen 5 3500x
PSU: Corsair rm550x
32gb DDR4 (2X 16gb)
GPU: GTX 1650
1X m.2 ssd
3X ssd 1 external and 2 internal
1X internal HDD
1X external HDD
Internal wireless card
Windows 11

So basically I put the new 3060 TI into my system and pressed power button and nothing happened. All what happened was the front 3 stack RGP fans lit up for a split millisecond and then nothing. So I then turned the power button off on the back of the PC and unplugged the cable and then plugged back in and turned the power button back on, and tried again, and again it did the same thing, I tried this multiple times.

So the thing is this card is this one: Asus GeForce RTX 3060Ti Dual OC 8GB GDDR6X PCI-Express Graphics Card

My old card was the Zotac 3060 TI Twin edge.
The new Asus card has 2X 2+6pin slots on it, So because my PSU only has 2 8pin slots on it, 1 is for CPU and 1 is for GPU. I had to daisychain so that both the 8pin slots was plugged into with the same cable. The old Zotac 3060 TI only had 1 8pin slot on the card though.

So I was like great, a issue I have had in the past few months of my pc not even powering on at all.

So I then put my GTX 1650 card back in and the PC powered on fine without any issues. This is the setup I have now used the last 6 weeks.

I do not know what else to do now. I have not tried to put it in again yet. Maybe it was just a reseating issue. But I really do not know, I am more leaning towards the 8pin cable could be faulty, maybe the 750watt PSU broke that 8pin cable. I do not have a spare 8 pin cable either. This 8pin cable came with this PSU. It was the only one I have too.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Apr 26, 2023
get a new psu with 2 8pin

Yeah, well I rang overclockers and I said to them the Guy on Monday did not even ask for my PC specs he just picked this Asus 3060 TI OC without even asking me if it will be compatible with my setup. He was not very good to be honest, so because of this, Today a new guy I spoke to said they can give me a free upgrade to a Gainward RTX 4060 TI which we checked was 1X 8pin on it.

I googled and again it says my 550watt PSU should be fine with it. But he did say it might still be best to get a 650watt or 750 watt PSU.

Anyhow, I already sent the 3060 TI OC back today. So now I will wait for the 4060 TI to arrive but they can not send me that until they get the 3060 TI back. But I am happy they gave me a free upgrade though.

But when I do get it, if it still does not power on, then I am then guessing it will be that 8pin cable that is faulty as I mentioned in the first post.

If that is the case then I will just sit on the 4060 TI until I can buy a new PSU. Ideally I want a modular one because they are much easier to install.

Will keep this thread updated though when I get the 4060 TI and test it etc........

Apr 26, 2023
Ok update, I installed the new 750watt PSU on Saturday, and the 4060 TI worked and pc worked for a few days fine but I had a weird issue when I tried to put the side panel on, it shut the PC down instantly. The glass side panel pushed some wires when I tried to put it on, and when I tried to turn it on again it did not turn on, so I then removed the glass side panel again and checked all connectors and cables etc, Tried again and it powered on.

That all happened on Saturday, so I left it as it was until today, so I needed to use my headphones for a call today, so I went to plug the usb headphones into a free usb port on the back of the PC and the PC shut down instantly.

So I tried unplugging it again also the power cable left it for 1 min and plugged the power cable back in, and still no power.

So I rang overclockers and explained what was happening etc and the PC will now not even power on. So he suggested try taking the 4060 TI out and put another GPU in which I did, I put the GTX 1650 back in and pressed the power button and it powered on and booted into windows just fine.

So I am really really not sure what is causing this strange issue with plugging things in that causes the PC to shut down instantly but I really need to find out what the cause is, because currently I am still using the PC with the GTX 1650. So the PC is working when I now have the 1650 in. I also tested plugging in the USB headphones with this GPU in and it did not shut it down either and the headphones are working and I was able to have that call I needed to have.

So I am thinking could it be a issue with grounding? the mobo is not grounded correctly?

I was also thinking could it be the screws you use to secure the GPU into the case? Could those screws be causing a short to happen? But I find that hard to believe cos of the fact it shut the PC down too when wires got pushed into the mobo when I put the glass side panel on.

I could really do with help please and any suggestions or ideas? I mean I am pretty computer literate but I am stuck now on what it could actually be etc. I also do not want to keep having to use the 1650 when I have a RTX 4060 TI I need to use. I can not game properly without it.

I have not tried putting the 4060 TI back in again because I dont want to risk being out of a PC for the night :(

Anyway thanks in advance

Apr 26, 2023
I will add, so the spec in the first post are the same apart from the new PSU and GPU

PSU: MSI MAG A750GL PCIE5 (750watt)
GPU: RTX 4060 TI

I got a free upgrade from overclockers for the GPU, I bought the psu from them though. So that is all that is different.

So currently as I said in the above updated post, the PC worked fine until today apart from when I tried to plug headphones in and it then stopped powering on until I switched the GPU to my old GTX 1650. Any help please would be appreciated.

Thanks again

Jun 28, 2023
Anyone able to help?
Well just got a new 4060 Ti also and am having the same exact problem. I'm pretty sure it's a power supply problem. Something with the cables. Maybe Pinot in the plug I'll be troubleshooting and testing everything the next few days and let you know what I find.

Reactions: DreamRJ
Apr 26, 2023
What BIOS version are you on currently?

My bios is F52 - I dont think a bios update will make any difference to be honest.

I think there is some sort of short, I will do some investigations later and see if I can find the cause, but I really do think the mobo is not grounded properly or the mobo is touching the case and causing a short.

Will keep you all updated though.

Man, 3060 Ti to 4060 Ti. That's like, a D to an F.

What do you mean? when you do a vs 3060 ti vs 4060 ti the 4060 TI is 13% better. IT also has more cuda cores than the 3060 TI and draws less power too. So I do not understand why you say it is worse than the 3060 ti.

MEMOFLEX

Distinguished
My bios is F52 - I dont think a bios update will make any difference to be honest.

I think there is some sort of short, I will do some investigations later and see if I can find the cause, but I really do think the mobo is not grounded properly or the mobo is touching the case and causing a short.

Will keep you all updated though.

What do you mean? when you do a vs 3060 ti vs 4060 ti the 4060 TI is 13% better. IT also has more cuda cores than the 3060 TI and draws less power too. So I do not understand why you say it is worse than the 3060 ti.

The BIOS may not be the issue but I have seen newer cards have issues with older BIOS in the past and thought it was worth a look. Your current BIOS is from 2020 so it could well be worth an update anyway as a number of security updates have been implemented since then.

Have you tried breadboarding the system if you think it is a short?

Apr 26, 2023
The BIOS may not be the issue but I have seen newer cards have issues with older BIOS in the past and thought it was worth a look. Your current BIOS is from 2020 so it could well be worth an update anyway as a number of security updates have been implemented since then.

Have you tried breadboarding the system if you think it is a short?

No I have not breadboarded this pc as it is. I just tested things in the case, I have not done any further diagnostics since yesterday. I do plan on doing diagnostic tests in a hour or two, I will keep this thread updated though. I think it could very well be a "standoff/spacer" issue. Because the pc stays on when it is on it is when I plugged stuff into it or tried putting the glass side panel on that was causing the instant shutdown issue.

I just hope the 4060 TI is still working, it worked the first few days until yesterday when I plugged the headphones in and instantly shut pc down and would not power back on until I removed the GPU.

Apr 26, 2023
Ok, so after doing diagnostics and checking all wires, cables and connectors going into the mobo then also checking the I/O plate, I could not find anything wrong with any of them, they all looked fine.....

So I then went on to trying the 4060 TI again, I put it in and did not put the screws in to secure it in case it was the screws causing the issue. So anyway I plugged the 6+2pin into the 4060 TI and plugged in power cable, and again NO power up, just a split millisecond of power then nothing just dead.

So I then unplugged power cable again and I used the other 6+2pin on the same 8pin cable into the 4060 TI, plugged in power cable again and pressed power button and BOOM, it powered on and booted into windows.

So now as it stands it is working again with the 4060 TI in the system.

I know the system still has that weird short fault that I still could not find. But for now, I will just leave it as it is.

I am not putting the screws into the 4060 TI just in case that is the cause of the short. I am also leaving glass side panel off too. I will also make sure when I plug a USB device in, to shut down PC first and plug it in when it is switched off and see if that still allows the PC to power up.

I will probably keep this thread updated in the future if I have more issues etc.

Jun 28, 2023
well, i had a feeling my issue was the power supply since at first it worked till i plugged in the 4060ti in. it had a generic 650watt psu. so i swappeed out to an extra 400 watt i had and everything booted right up just fine. picked up a new 750 watt evga and all is good now.

TRENDING THREADS